1990 Marin Eldridge Grade (updated 23/4 nearly finished)

prof farnsworth

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello folks. Since my cindercone project has come to an end, i needed something new to keep me out of trouble.

And so begins project Eldridge Grade.

I havent done too much so far apart from strip the frame down, dealing with yet another seized seatpost that had been snapped off. Luckily this time i didnt have to resort to the caustic soda, and within an hour the old post was liberated.

also started removing and photographing the decals ready for reproduction.

so heres a few photo to illustrate what im starting with.

keep an eye out for more updates soon.

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

You've got some graft a head of you with this one. Look forward to seeing some updates as you progress. I'm sure some of the resident Marin experts will be able to point you in the right direction with decals, or member Gil_m maybe able to sort you some reproductions.

Best of Luck.

prof farnsworth":355pdntb said:
edit: Obviously if any of the marin experts know of an alladins cave full of nos 91 marin stickers i could certainly go for some of them.

Me too, a set of repro or NOS 1991 Pine Mountain decals would be spot on, I only need the top tube 'Pine Mountain' decal for mine to be almost perfect!

Love the Eldridge, more Zolatone Marins needed on RB!

Cool :cool:

I think for the year that is the identical tube set / geometry to what they used from the Bear Valley and up to / including the pine mountain.

Is that not a 90 as it has the thin rear stays like mine ? :?

Have a look on my thread for the Marin decals I have (Not for sale though sorry :( ) They are all OE stickers with the exception of the two flags. There is a member on here that has a far bigger collection of these then me ! ;)

If you find a spare one of those Tange decals let me know as its identical to what I removed and I am after a replacement.

Looking forward to the updates :D

WD :D

WD Pro":2gfel07t said:
Cool :cool:

Is that not a 90 as it has the thin rear stays like mine ? :?

WD :D

thanks for the comment.

i just ventured out into the man cave to check the frame number. If i remember correctly the third digit signifies the year which in my case is a 1. So must be a 91. i cant find a 1990 catalouge anywhere on the net so cant check what they look like.

strange thing is mine had much lighter grey paint than shown in the 91 catalouge and mine also has white frame decals, when the 91 is shown with red/orange decals to match the forks/stem/bars. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Tis indeed a '90 one. The '91s had dark grey zolatone and decal colours that matched the forks. So an Eldridge had fire engine red, pine mountain orange.

the plot thickens!

just checked the serial number on my other one. its a 1990.

this is the first frame you can see the 1 as the third digit.

DSC00181.jpg

this is the other one you can just about make out the '0' as the third digit.

DSC00182.jpg

yet the frames are identical.

DSC00183.jpg

any ideas?

91 would have had more uniformly fat stays (afterburners i believe the marketing spin called them). But defo colour scheme of 90. Maybe someone fluffed up the serial number accidentally on purpose.

If you look, not too carefully at the pic of the one you believe is a 91 you'll notice that it has two frame numbers. The M91 number is in the wrong place - warranty replacement? I'm sure if you scrape away at the correctly placed frame number it will be M90

Back