Fitness levels?

perry":1ox6wumw said:
i think ive just had a rant in the wrong thread :LOL:

mjn you need to stop with the long base mile road rides and take up short burst single speeding , thatl increase your aerobic capacity to keep up :LOL:

Ah Perry I was only having a laugh,you should come out for a ride,you'll see that both my endurance and sprints are both fine :cool: .Been doing alot of ssing lately,not for fitness though just to break up the manotony of the road miles.
I have found that ssing does suit my style quite well as I have always been able to spin at a high rpm and the majority of my road racing results came from bunch sprints,which helps you get up those 'power climbs'.
See I do train really its just that most racers lie about what they do :D

i figured you were having a laugh , im surprised this thread has got to 2 pages , its often very hard to get any mention of a riders methods , theres just as much alchemy and superstition as science and there will alwas be the view that the specific thing you do is something that no one in the world has cottoned onto :LOL:

when people reference ssing they always empasise the uphill struggle but there is a lot of flat high rpm spinning getting to the hills

I really asked the question to get some ideas for a plan for me to stick to that will improve my fitness. :oops:

daj":22sgrkv9 said:
I really asked the question to get some ideas for a plan for me to stick to that will improve my fitness. :oops:

Stick to 3 nights a week on the TT, 30-60 mins at a time, plus a ride at the weekend and you'll be fine Dave.

I am nowhere near as fit as I was in the 90's when I raced, but I'm not trying to be that anymore. I do the above, and it is fine for what I want (and that is to keep a 32" waist :LOL: ).

whats are you aiming for ?

its easier to plan something out with a specfic ( doesnt need to be monumental though ) goal

do you want more strength or better ability over distance . although for general ability its better to increase aerobic efficiency then add the anaerobic bursts on top

Lots of gentle miles and a little really hard stuff is the rule.

A lot of what people do is sufficiently strenuous that they overtrain but not so harsh that they get better.

There was a load of good stuff on this in Cycling Plus last Aug.

I would agreed with whats been said so far. It's important to keep it interesting and to have a few goals or you will really struggle to maintain focus.

Also if you dont like regimes, don't set a strict weekly training program as you'll fail and feel down, just make sure that you do get out and mix it up a bit every week and have hard and easy sessions.

I'd also say get a heart rate monitor, very useful piece of kit when used correctly, good for on the turbo.

circumstances being what they are i am doing far less than i want. having to make do with lunch time rides for 40 mins 3-4 times a week and a couple of weights sessions. if i miss the bike i try to get on my rowing machine for 30-45 mins.....really need to do more and get to the bmx track more

Seriously now,it all depends on where your fitness level is now and where it has been in the past,if you're just after getting fitter consistancy is the key,just get out riding/turbo training as often as you can.
If however you have been at a good level and wish to return to that or improve on it a training plan would be a good idea as would a heart rate monitor or power meter.If you don't think you're up to designing your own plan(or have someone who could do it for you) or have specific goals in mind a coach maybe a good idea,you can locate one through british cycling's website,and don't forget to have fun :D

I try and get out a couple of times a week, mainly on the road bike. and only use the turbo if i can't ride outside. But will train for a big event, but the hardent part of the training is the motivation to get out the door.

Back