If you haven't got a pedal spanner buy one!!

Jones

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been messing about building bikes for years and years and years and the one tool I've never bought is a pedal spanner :roll:

Not sure why but its probably because it seems a lot of money for a tool you can usually do without and use an adjustable spanner instead :oops:

I got fed up yesterday when I finally met my match with a pedal stuck in a mint set of M952 cranks which just refused to budge :shock:

My Park Tools pedal spanner arrived this morning with a huge THUNK!! through the letterbox :LOL:

So after instant success on the first stuck pedal ;) I've been searching every nook and cranny in the house for long lost cranks with stuck pedals and it hasn't failed on one yet :)

Can't believe its taken me this long to own a pedal spanner :?

Agreed. Right tool for the job.

Or never fit pedals with anything but an allen key. They don't get over tight that way and so are always easy to remove.

yes I've never understood why people do up pedals and bottom brackets so tight. You just need to 'nip' them and job's a good'un... :? I've never had one undo itself that I've tightened myself and they all come undone dead easy.

They tighten themselves, IME.
But definitely worth having a pedal spanner. I bought one after I wrecked a pair of cranks jamming a full width spanner into too narrow a gap.

when i took over at the shop i managed the saturday lad kept using copperslip :roll: so i spent too much time during the week with bikes coming back as the pedals had fallen off :roll:

cleaned off , dab of loctite , nipped up

made me smile when a guy came in a couple of days after i had refitted his and said " those pedals you put on havnt come loose since you did it , before they were always coming off "

:roll: :LOL: :LOL:

the lad didnt last long :LOL: and he was always leaving the shop in a mess :evil:

orange71":25o5c71z said:
yes I've never understood why people do up pedals and bottom brackets so tight. You just need to 'nip' them and job's a good'un... :? I've never had one undo itself that I've tightened myself and they all come undone dead easy.

I am guilty of tightening up bottom brackets a fair bit as i had one slacken off and wreck the threads in the frame BITD, always grease all threads though.

Also totaly knackered a 1 1/4 treaded headset BITD by stopping at a garage ten miles from home to ask them to tighten it up, the mechanic used stilsons :roll:

I now have the proper spanner for the 1" headsets in my Oranges, also decided a while ago to stop battering headset cups in with a mallet :LOL:
Going to either make or buy a press. Recently invested in cone spaners too.

You can remove some flat pedals with a normal 15 or 16 mm spanner but most need the proper thin one.

bottom bracket threads should be fitted with loctite unless its alloy where antiseize should be used instead and tightened to around 300 inch lbs

all threads should be lubed in some manner , be it a light oil , grease , antiseize or a variety of loctite

perry":runqvu4i said:
when i took over at the shop i managed the saturday lad kept using copperslip :roll: so i spent too much time during the week with bikes coming back as the pedals had fallen off :roll:

cleaned off , dab of loctite , nipped up

made me smile when a guy came in a couple of days after i had refitted his and said " those pedals you put on havnt come loose since you did it , before they were always coming off "

:roll: :LOL: :LOL:

the lad didnt last long :LOL: and he was always leaving the shop in a mess :evil:

Interesting, I use copperslip on everything exposed to the elements on the car, and nothing has ever come loose. If you don't, then bolts tend to seize.

Back