Judy Coil Spring Compatibility

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
So I pulled the stack out of my 96 Judy XCs the other day and the elastomers are smoked. Crumbled in my fat stupid fingers. So today I was in 'the basement,' and I came across a set of 98 Judy Type 3 coil springs. Will these work in my 96?

If the size is the same, it should fit, but I have to look that up. Most of the parts fit. You can also fit in a SID internal.

I have package label here, for a spring kit which I used. It says: Type 3 Judy SL, XC, XL and type 3 fits 97 models.
So I should fit.

I pulled it all apart last night, and the coil springs do fit. Now that being said, the rebound is pretty quick, and I wouldn't even know how to get the damper cartridge out of there. I shined a flashlight in there and didn't even see one! Arg... I wish I could see pictures of what I was doing. I cant seem to find a downloadable manual (with pictures) off the net.

could be i could save your life , or forks maybe :LOL:

got a 96 and a 97 judy manuals in PDF , lots a lovely pics

let me know if you want them

You need some pliers, to pinch the retaining ring. You have to squeeze them together with a special plier, and then you can take out the damper.
I looked it up, it's called:small tip internal snap ring pliers.

Thanks. Too late though, I already tried to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver and snapped it in half...

There was no saving it though, there is so much corrosion going on, prying it with any tool would have done equal damage.

Off to the LBS.

That's the way I used to do it. But the pliers work much easier.
Hope the LBS can rescue the forks. If you need any parts, give me a shout.

Latest posts

Back