1997 Kona Cindercone- Warning white & singlespeed!

prof farnsworth

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello folks,
ive been lurking on the forum for a few months now and have finally got round to putting the finishing touches on my first project.

i decided to do something completely differrent to everyone else so ive done a singlespeed white kona . :D

i bought it of flea bay just before christmas and it was a right state. almost every component was scratched to buggery or rusty as hell.
Seatpost had 270mm stuck in the tube snapped off level with the top of the tube, and to add insult to injury the bb cups were well and truely seized in.

I tackled the seat post by sealing the top with a bit of inner tube, turning the frame upside down and pouring sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) in through the bottle cage holes. a few hours later and the seatpost had virtually disolved. a bit of work with the hack saw and she was free.

after breaking both my park tools bb remover and shimano one trying to get the cups out i ended up knocking them round with a cold chisel.

Next paint was stripped and frame was powder coated.

i had some old black ICON cranks off my klein which i polished up and i polished the black headset and black avid sd levers.

The decals are home made.Some are from photos of the old decals which i touched up in paintshop and others were gathered from the web or catalouge scans. they were printed on water slide decal paper then laquered over.

any comments would be great.

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

i had some spare decals over so i made my self a KONA MUG!

DSC00146.jpg

spec to follow shortly.

Frame: 1997 Kona Cindercone

Fork: Project 2 triple butted

Headset: Ritchey Comp 1 1/8" (was black now polished bare)
Stem: Kona Tahoma
Handlebar: kona race light (w/ new home made decal)
Grips: charge lock on white
Barends: snafu alloy plugs polished.

Brakes: shimano xt v brakes
Brake Pads: xt
Brake Cables: Goodridge white outer with xt inner
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: avid 1.9L (was black now polished bare)

Shifters:
Front Derailleur: none
Rear Derailleur: Surly Singulator silver, pushing up
Derailleur Cables: none
Cassette: wheels manufacturing ss conv shimano 16t DX
Chain: wippermann silver
Cranks: ICON (was ano Black now polished bare)
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: SJS Thorn 32t ss ring
Chainring bolts: SJS narrow
Bottom Bracket: Shimano un-71
Pedals: Shimano XT spd

Hub Skewers:Shimano
Rims:
Hubs: Shimano stx-rc
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: IRC Notos 1.9 redwall
Tubes:

Saddle: Charge Spoon chromo rail white
Seatpost: kalloy 400m silver with home made racelight logo
Seatpost Binder: kona

Weight:

looks great. you should be well happy with that. the silver works well with the white too, i went black on mine but yours looks great with silver. top job

kona

its looking good.ive just taken my kona frame into 1st choice finishes in exeter to be powder coated white,the guy in there said that he did a kona last week in white. soon there will be no coloured konas around.keep up the good work cheers kirbdug

Back