Dave_H

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
Dave_H listed some parts in the for sale section of this website.Link
He's since deleted the line in his ad, but he offered a pair of yellow pedals for £7, which he described as new.
I responded on the forum and sent a PM, this was the reply:-
To: chris667
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 pm
Subject: Re: Could I send you a cheque for the pedals?
Hello-
I'd like the yellow pedals if possible.
Would a cheque be alright?
Chris

Hi Chris,

Yeah, that's fine.
Address removed to protect privacy

Cheers,

Dave

I caught the post on the 6th, and 7 days later the money leaves my account.
I'm starting to get nervous, so on the 22nd I send this:

To: Dave_H
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 pm

Hello Dave-

Did you get my cheque for the yellow pedals?

Chris
This was his response:-
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 am
Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Have had a nightmare with work.

Got the cheque and the pedals are all packed and ready to post. Will get them on their way Monday.

Cheers,

Dave
They turned up on Thursday 29th. I was very disappointed when I opened the box to find they were covered in paint and rust, and one of them had dodgy bearings. Maybe they hadn't been on a bike, but they'd have failed in a very short space of time if they were.
I wrote this:-
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:55 pm
Dave-
The pedals arrived this morning.
Forgetting that I had to chase you up to even get them, I was really suprised to see their condition, rusty with paint stains on the cages. One of these also has rough bearings - I fail to see how you could describe these as "new".
I'm really disappointed, and I want my £7 back.
If I don't hear from you by the weekend, I'll be in touch with the moderators.
Chris

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:19 pm
Subject: Re: Could I send you a cheque for the pedals? Quote message
Forgetting that I had to chase you up to even get them, I was really suprised to see their condition, rusty with paint stains on the cages. One of these also has rough bearings - I fail to see how you could describe these as "new".
I'm really disappointed, and I want my £7 back.
If I don't hear from you by the weekend, I'll be in touch with the moderators.

Chris,

Well, aren't we Mr Grumpy.

Please remember that I'm not a shop selling brand new goods, I'm just a bloke clearing out my shed - as the advert said. The pedals have not been used but have been kicking round the shed for a few years. Due to the amount of stuff I've been selling, sadly I've not been able to test exactly how everything works. The pedals are as described - yellow and new. Had you have wanted more detailed explanation or photos then you should have asked.

I appreciate that they took a while to get to you, part of the delay is me having to faff around dealing with a cheque - incurring fuel charges and parking costs to get to a bank to pay it in. Again, I'm not a shop - my day to day life isn't mail order.

However, if you're not happy with them then I have no problems with having them back. Send them to me to
his address removed here to protect privacy
and I'll gladly send you a cheque back for your £7 less postage.

Feel free to chat to the mods if you're not happy.

Dave

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:12 pm
Dave-
A few points:-
1. If they've been in a shed for years, they aren't new.
2. If you weren't happy with a cheque, you should have said. I'd have been more than happy to do a bank transfer if you'd have asked.
These are crap that will fail in short order. I'm not going to bother posting them back or contacting you again, as by the time I've paid for postage and you've subtracted what you're going to it isn't worth my while. But I am going to tell the mods about this, and unless they ask me not to I'm putting photos of these pedals and this conversation on your feedback thread.
Chris

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:16 pm
Subject: Re: Could I send you a cheque for the pedals? Quote message
If you're being literal about the term 'New' then I own nothing that is new, as soon as I buy it is isn't 'New'.

Anyway, it's your choice. I've offered you a refund which I am not obliged to do.

I wasn't expecting amazing quality for £7, but I do expect usability. I threw these out in the end, they were not as good as a pair of plastic toy shop pedals I took off an old Townsend a while ago.
So here you have every bit of correspondence between myself and Dave_H. I thought rather than leaving some inflamatory, short comment and have a big argument with him, it'd be better for you to come to your own conclusions. But I'd never buy anything off Dave_H again, and wouldn't recommend you to either.[/url]

Agreed and done. I had already blanked out one instance of his address, the second was a mistake on my part.

Can't fault Dave-H

I have had no issues with Dave-H. He originally advertised a 25.0 Use seatpost new for £7. I pm'd him to question the price as it seemed v.cheap. He sent a message back saying that he had meant to advertise it for more but as the ad was written at £7 i could have it for that anyway. Arrived a couple of days later and is mint. Can't fault him.

Dave_H":3br2bofc said:
Perhaps you should have used my other feedback thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6616

At the end of the day Chris, I offered you a refund. Had you not have instantly hit me with full on attitude and threats then I'd have probably just refunded you all of your money and told you to keep the pedals.

Ah well. :?
Thanks for drawing the link to my attention.
I don't think I did display a lot of "attitude", but after having to chase you to get delivery, I wasn't expecting you to reply to the PM where I asked for my money back. This is the first time you've offered me a full refund, had you just done that to begin with I wouldn't have wasted my time posting this.

Latest posts

Back