my first dable at singlespeed

kaiser":5novoa50 said:
And longun sorry for straying OT a wee bit, good work on the SS :D what gear are you running?

Yes, looks good Longy, looking forward to seeing it on the 22nd ;)

My SS is currently running 32x18. It works well on my local loop, if a little spinny on the flats.......but I like it like that as I used to ride fixed on track and for TT's :cool:

I have just got a 36t, but need to get a longer chain first :roll:

I am enjoying my singlespeed aswell and wish I did it earlier, yesterday I went to off road riding at Aston Court with a mate who was on modern mtb, I kept up with him and didnt find that hard apart from one hill, get the gearing right and you will be ok, I am currenty using 36x18 which it suited me, ok it's a little spinning on tarmac on downhill, other than that, it's fine.

The advantage is:-

bike is lighter
easier to clean when bike is muddy
make you fitter and more fun

:)

It's funny that almost everybody runs a 2:1 ratio riding SS off road. On road everybody seems to have their own idea of the perfect gear for SS or fixed. Off road almost everybody runs the same gear at about 52".

Having said that the preferred gear for SS cyclocross seems to be 63".

I have to say, I'd go lower if I could do it on the cheap. But 34:18 was all I had in the parts shed.

I'm on 32:16 the reason I use that gear is that when I first converted (getting on for 15 years ago now!) my middle ring was 32T and 16T is the most common size of freewheel. I suspect that's also the main reason that 32:16 is the most popular off road SS gear.

Had single speed become popular a few years earlier than it did maybe a 38T ring would have been more popular.

I think mines a 40:20 or maybe 40:22 cant remember really all i know is it is a nice leisurely ride :cool:

cheers guys,bikes currently running 34:18,ive got a 16 that came with the ss kit for when i get stronger and fitter tho :D

just won a gt on ebay so its gonna be a bit more retro after my wedding and ready for the 22nd

Back