Computer help

Some good advice. I use Safari on my Mac. I remember on the gadget show they mentioned an Anti-virus that was a plug in USB. And it ran separately from the computer. So it didn't slow it down. But can any body remember what it was called?

The best Linux for virii resistance has to be Puppy.
A whole operating system can be on a CD which you personalise yourself. If a virus ever gets a foothold (good luck with that one, BTW), reboot your computer, and you're back to normal.
But if you need the convenience of Windows, I like AVG, Spybot and awareness of how you use a computer sensibly.

i know ubuntu can run off a disc too , you can even buy them already on a usb stick . imagine that an os in the pocket . you would ever need to use windows again :LOL:

It depends if you are running Norton AntiVirus or Norton Security Suite?

Norton Security Suite includes a firewall which the AVG basic Free edition does not.

Most free AV software will provide basic protection, if you are at all worried about the security of your PC then i'd suggest using one of the premium versions of either AVG or AVIRA

For example - AVG basic free edition only gives you protection against viruses, spyware, adware. The Pro version gives you all this but in addition the following.

Anti-Rootkit
Protection against hidden threats that deliver malicious content

Anti-Spam
Catches e-mail threats including phishing, fraud and spam

Safe Downloads
Screens your downloads for malicious content

Safe Instant Messaging
Protects your ICQ and MSN communication

Safe Surf
Real-time protection from poisoned web pages

Free Support
Free support and service around the clock and across the globe

You decide. for only £30 a year it's better than being without your PC and having your card details nicked!!

If you have Norton already installed then you could upgrade as it's a pain to uninstall.

I'm running Norton Anti-virus. As my Mac has a fire wall already. The ubuntu looks interesting.

perry":26cn7mfz said:
i know ubuntu can run off a disc too , you can even buy them already on a usb stick . imagine that an os in the pocket . you would ever need to use windows again :LOL:

here you go

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5485958/Y ... e+Firewall

Norton is famous for slowing your pc down and a right bitch to unistall, AVG, avast are 2 good free programs, altho i have found AVG slow my pc down with its latest version, so im now running avast.

All antivirii programs slow your PC down, they have to. (with always on scanners anyway)

They have to scan drive transactions (biggest killer)
They have to scan the html pages (makes surfing slower)
They have to scan you email as in comes in (not bad and not really a pain)
They have to...Get the picture they are pretty much in between every process happpening on your computer. It's just how much of this they do that differs. Some always scan, everything you do on the drive.

I tended to run in manual mode except for email and web browsing.
I do not need every file being checked (I know you can cut them down to suite myself). I only need files I download checked really.

Never had a full blow virus take hold yet in all the time (15+yrs years), except once and that bypassed ever scanner and none would detect it (I tried them to see if they could find it). Bugger to remove, though good fun too.

Started of with Norton, this became bloated and switched to Symantec AV 10+ years back. Brilliant always worked and easy to control. Though recently I've got Avast! HE on them all and it is working nicely, though does seem to cause some 'delay' more so thatn I remember with Symatec AV.

My old man has recently bought Norton 360 and it seems to be doing a good job for him, he can understand it (Avast is not so easy, neither is Symantec).

But if you just surf the web and use email then pretty much all will do a good job. Only torrents/usenet/pubs and mainly rapidshare's can cause the headaches.

Of course my Linux machines have not had a problem either,

most Av programs are set by default to scan file when they are written to the disk AND when they are read from the disk . If you exclude files from being scanned when they are read from the disk then it will increase the PC speed a little.

:evil: :evil: AARRGGHH

Bloody AVG! Havn't been running any anti-virus for ages, never felt the need to, but decided i'll see what AVG is like now (used to run it years ago).

Since install I have no end of interuption saying i'm infected with this and that, but they are not friggin infections! Its picking up every flippin .exe file on my computer! So i shut it down out of the way.

Gone to print something an hour ago and the printer doesn't work! I'm connected, I can communicate with it, but cannot print. 1 hour later after investigating everything, it's AVG causing a port error :evil:

Come to uninstall the bloody thing.... the link doesn't point anywhere, look in the folder, no uninstall. Go to swith everything OFF, can't do that. Delete folder manually, can't do that.

Getting lots of Win32 and svhost errors!
I think i'm going to a total re-install tio get rid of the evil thing. I knew there must be a reason it's free.

I'm very pissed off.

Rant over :roll:

By the way, i place the blame squarly on this thread :LOL:

many many millions of people have used it for many years without problem,i suspect you have serious pc issues.....

Back