Best way to identify an old frame.

DDS

Retro Newbie
Many moons ago whilst on a trip to the rubbish dump I found an old steel frame. When I inspected it closely it seems to be a good quality frame (nice ring to it if you flick the tubing). It has absolutely no decals or markings other than the frame number. Is it possible to identify just by the frame number alone?

DDS

Sometimes (but only sometimes!) I wish I worked at one of these dumps as the stuff that people chuck away!! Obviously bikes would be the main interest! Where we are as a member of the public if you spot something interesting you're not allowed to ask for it.. I guess you could slip somebody a tenner and they might look the other way...

My local dump puts all the 'useful'stuff to one side, I pop down every so often to see if there are any nice looking bikes, actually I cant belive I'm having this discussion, it sounds like we are all rooting through rubbish! Desperate or what! :LOL:

DDS, never mind a pic of the steely, lets see a couple of pics of the trimble and kestrel :)

bet you never found them int local dump

retrobikeguy":281xkwm0 said:
DDS, never mind a pic of the steely, lets see a couple of pics of the trimble and kestrel :)

bet you never found them int local dump

Will try and get all 3 of them up sometime over the weekend. The Trimble is currently in bits, but I can certainly post pics of it as it is.

You're right I didn't find the Trimble down the dump! It was a silly bargain though! Paid £200 for the complete bike (built with bullseye cranks / hubs, 7 speed XT etc). I'm kicking myself for selling the cranks (ages ago) but there are some on eBay that I might have a bid on. Otherwise I have some Tiogo Revolver cranks to go on it.

Once I get some pics up I'd be interest to hear opinions on current value.

Out of interest, how many other Trimble owners also own a Kestrel?

Cheers guys,
This site was such a great find! :LOL:

DDS":1e2ig9mz said:
Out of interest, how many other Trimble owners also own a Kestrel?

Just me, I think :?:

2 x MXZ's (trimble designed) HERE

main.php

re the rubbish dump finds. I once found a M950 hub on mavic 517 rim front wheel. the axle wasmissing. got a new 1 from CBO cheaply & used it on my winter bike for like 3 yrs :)

post up pics of the frame in question :)

found loads of good stuff at our local re-cycling center (as its now called)

frame id .... check the dropouts sometimes a good start point
frame nos well if you know how they're structured but you may get
a year of manufacture which may help
check seat post/bb sizes can narrow it down a bit more
but a pic is the best start point.
mike

OK guys here we go. Sorry to take so long to get the pics up. See if you can ID this:

3-4.jpg

3-5.jpg

3-6.jpg

3-7.jpg

3-8.jpg

Frame number is MOC 65809

Will also get pics of the Kestrel up in a bit, but will have to keep you waiting for the Trimble (still burried in the loft!)

Back