Tools

chris667":3bnk4hun said:
If they say no, apparently the Lidl one isn't as bad as its £20 price tag suggests.

The old Dear got me some "bike tools" from Lidl last year....unfortunately not much cop. Looked good on the face of it, but very limited in their application and good for about one use before they failed.

look over your bikes and decide what tools you need , no point having things you wouldnt use

park isnt the be all and end all , its like snap on and ive known a few mechanics who have sold their snap on tools to fund restorations and bought halfords kit with the procedes :LOL:

when i had a shop i would be using the tools so often i started to wear out all my park stuff :( so it became a bit of a false economy to replace a worn tool with another park one when i knew it wouldnt be long before id be replacing again

Spend more money on the allan keys, screwdrivers and a set of spanners as these will be most used. Bondhus made the tools for Park. So if you can get Bondhus stuff it is exactly the same as Park just not blue! A decent spoke key is another essential. Then spend the rest of the money on Bike care products, so grease, degreaser, chain lube/wax etc and some common spares brake pads, cables, handle bars grips. Thats what I would do anyway.

BarneyRubble":a1pp84pa said:
chris667":a1pp84pa said:
If they say no, apparently the Lidl one isn't as bad as its £20 price tag suggests.

The old Dear got me some "bike tools" from Lidl last year....unfortunately not much cop. Looked good on the face of it, but very limited in their application and good for about one use before they failed.

I'm still using mine. YMMV Great starter for little money but for a birthday you can do better. It has served me well so i can upgrade as I see fit.

I think my dream additions atm would consist of

Decent clamping workstand and maybe a truing stand. These are more important than a lot of obscure tools

Bondhus prohold (retain bolts) allen wrenches probably with T-handles and a cheap set of ball ended L allen keys for anywhere with access problems

A cheapish torque wrench and allen screw bits.
Decent socket set. Heard Halfords pro are not bad for the money.
A shimano or park wire cutter plus a lighter for heating wire before cut!
Unior 1630 spoke wrenches or other '3 corner' spoke wrench
Pista pump
Park or similar shop cone wrenches
Topeak Alien 2 multitool for out and about.
Rivoli chain tool or similar

BB and cassette lockring removal tools appropriate for your bikes

Tub of grease (silkolene rg2 or marine hub), your preferred chain lube and triflow for general lubing. Degreaser, white spirits.

Whatever you get buy decent allen keys, total false economy buying anything else, look at snap on, mac tools, gedore, teng are pretty good value, as well as park and pedros.

kaiser":15stu3nn said:
Whatever you get buy decent allen keys, total false economy buying anything else, look at snap on, mac tools, gedore, teng are pretty good value, as well as park and pedros.

When buying Allen keys, I find it hard to look past Allen ;)
The rest are just hex :LOL:

Imhaho,i think these are good enough quality and should last a long time

Park folding allen key set

Park cable /cable outer cutters

Park chain splitter

Shimano cassette tool

Shimano bottom bracket tool

A Bahco reversible adjustable spanner[250mm model goes up to 33mm]

Most other bits arent oft used ,you can usually beg or borrow from your LBS
or buy cheap-like a set of spanners from argos [mine have lasted some 20 yrs now :D ]

Back