Single chainring question

bpikeuk

Old School Hero
Hi,

I would like to fit a single chain ring to my newly shortened cranks for my lad's bike. How do you guys go about fitting just one ring, the bolts I have are too long being designed to go through 2 rings.

Also what size ring on the front to go with an 11-32 rear cassette for a nine year old whippet !

Cheers as ever

Barry

you can buy shorter nuts n bolts for a single ring,i used a grinder on mine n saved a fiver lol :roll:

regarding chainring size,it depends on type of riding,a bigger ring will be good for gentle rides but if you intent lots of tricky offroad and hills maybe a smaller ring.see what gear hes comfy riding in most the time and work from there

hope this helps

The shorter bolts are for track bikes,they work on any cranks,mentioning the track thing makes them easier to find.

I reckon a 32 tooth chainring would be your best bet, it'll give a low enough gear for some climbing and still be well usable on flatter sections of trail and on the road.

Andy R":1b0b76fj said:
I reckon a 32 tooth chainring would be your best bet, it'll give a low enough gear for some climbing and still be well usable on flatter sections of trail and on the road.

I'd agree, 32 is what i was using 1x8 on my LTS, had a 12-32 cassette though, 11-32 will give a better turn of speed on the flat bits.

May be a bit of a modern aproach but what about fitting a bash ring or plate in place of the outer ring ?, CRC do some nice ones.

Thanks Guys,

I had thought about turning the bolts down in my mates lathe but it seemed like a bit of a faff if there was something easier.

I'll have a look at a bashplate maybe.

I'm glad that 32 tooth seems to be about right because I happen to have one :)

Promised him we could take the bike out on Saturday afternoon and then remembered all the bits I'd robbed off mine :shock: Got a bike to finish and one to build by Saturday then :?

Thanks one and all

Barry

Back