Toaday's tip find: Ti Raleigh 753 'Quiz of the day'

legrandefromage":1fxdokck said:
the next question - is it 753 or 531?
I think the 26.8mm seatpost would make it more likely to be an early 753. 753 was first drawn in metric sizes, so a 28mm seat tube with a 0.5mm wall and a little clearance gives a 26.8mm post. If you measure the outer diameter of the seat tube and it's 28.0mm (allow a little for paint) it's probably 753.

Seen this one?

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Pet ... n/album94/

it will be 531

no one in there right mind would put mudguard eyelets on 753 it was a pig to build with anyway.

shuff":14yjpc1c said:
no one in there right mind would put mudguard eyelets on 753 it was a pig to build with anyway.
It's quite possible they were added later. If it had been built with mudguards in mind it would have made more sense to use dropouts with eyelets, or brass-braze the eyelets to the dropouts before silver brazing the tubes in.

And would someone in their right mind paint a nice frame in lavender and white household gloss? :shock:

one-eyed_jim":2x6t6ql6 said:
shuff":2x6t6ql6 said:
It's quite possible they were added later. If it had been built with mudguards in mind it would have made more sense to use dropouts with eyelets, or brass-braze the eyelets to the dropouts before silver brazing the tubes in.

And would someone in their right mind paint a nice frame in lavender and white household gloss? :shock:

Those extra braze-ons have an appointment with my grinder

that lavender paint and household gloss has saved the frame from the rust worm... ;)

yeah raleigh, didnt think of them. Head lugs are the type from raleighs and raleigh typically used the diver's helmet stop on the chainstay. I'd say the eyes were added later, this is definitely not something they typically did, but special development did do custom jobs, so it poss. Do you have the forks? They would have been fully sloping, internal fit crown. I'd guess at 531, cos I think the ends on the 753's were drilled where the wheels clamp. also, a builder would be reluctant to braze eyes onto 753. I had both 753's and 531's (not raleigh) and 27.2 seatpin fitted both. The one you have would typically have been the last of the red/yellow/black ones, but more likely the blue/white panasonic ones, cos thats when they did that seatbolt cluster.

one-eyed_jim":1isfg3l3 said:
I think the 26.8mm seatpost would make it more likely to be an early 753. 753 was first drawn in metric sizes, so a 28mm seat tube with a 0.5mm wall and a little clearance gives a 26.8mm post. If you measure the outer diameter of the seat tube and it's 28.0mm (allow a little for paint) it's probably 753.
Here's a 1978 information sheet for 753 giving the metric dimensions:

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/R ... 1_753.html

from

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/R ... Tubing-78/

28mm seat tube diameter.

wrong forks though.

might restore it or just flog it on the bay. gotta have a think as I've just bought an Eddy Merckx Strada to dribble over...

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,006
another divers helmet stop on the top tube!
Looks like different forks tho, so originality is lost.

I wasnt going to pi## on your bonfire, but Id keep the merckx and dump the raleigh. That seat cluster was notorious for coming apart. I personally know of 2 people who had this happen. One was a shop stock 531 and another guy had a 753 SP one who's went twice (so 3 instances in total). In fairness to raleigh tho, they never quibbled and the SP guy always got a fresh respray in his choice of colours.

Back