Fork length - Help!

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm looking for a rigid fork for my Hei Hei and I'm getting conflicting information :?

As far as I'm aware the frame will take a 100mm fork (1997) so I've been looking for a 440mm A2C length rigid fork.

However, some folk are saying go for a 425mm A2C length to allow for the sag of a suspension fork :?

I run a 425mm A2C rigid fork on my Saracen and I'm sure that thats correct for the geometry 85mm suspension fork.

So confused - please help! :shock: :LOL:

Mark

You are right. 420mm is notionally for a 80mm fork equivalent and 440mm for a 100mm. I guess it may vary depending upon what sag you like to run but a 100mm fork is typically circa 480mm A2C so those using 420s will probably find very sharp handling.

Mark,

I have just faced a similar issue.

everyone says a 420 is an 80mm and a 440 is a 100mm fork equiv.

However, a 440 is the same length as a locked out SID and less than a locked out Fox Float at 80mm. So I always found a 420 a little low.

That said I am looking for a 420 right now. :LOL:

Are you sure you want a 100mm for a 97 Hei Hei? SiD's only came out in '98 and they were 80mm.

:D

Hey Gus,

I am getting very confused of late :roll: so I maybe wrong :LOL:

For some reason I thought that the 1997 came with an orange z1 @ 100mm travel :?

I've just ordered a new 2009 Kona P2 thats 440mm so I hope it won't be too chopper like :LOL:

my XLM is riding a bit laid back with these 440's and that's an '02 frame!

Mark, personally I'd run a 420mm rigid fork. The idea being that the 20mm of sag you'd probably soak up without noticig on a SID et al, would equate to teh 420mm. the 440mm as i have found is equiv to a locked out SID, that i thought would work well, and hasn't.

:-(

I may well be very wrong. Often am. :LOL:

If it's any help I'm running 440mm rigid forks on a '95 Explosif and the handling and feel isn't the least bit compromised - in fact I think overall it's the best handling bike I own.

I think a lot of these mid to late 90's frames can easily stand being slackened a bit by slightly longer than "correct length" forks - I'm sure 440mm will be just fine and dandy :cool: Anyway, you soon learn the finer nuances of any bike and fine adjust your riding technique and set-up to suit.

I run "overlong" forks on my Caldera at the moment (replace 63mm with 100mm) the handling does change but like Andy I think it gets better ;)

We'll see if the same applies with rigid forks :LOL:

Hoping for a build by the end of March. Cannot wait :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back