1999 Sunn Totall UN (soft tail) -Updated pics (09 feb 09)

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello all, I am currently up in my Leeds abode and I brought the Sunn with me to do a little bit with it.

I have taken off the awful truative crank that was on the frame when I bought it, and fitted a set of race face turbines (that I really must finish polishing- they used to be black anno untill they met with Mr Muscle.)

Also properly fitted the forks and sorted out the wheels. The only thing left to get for the build are the brakes and cable inner/outers,+ get the chain on & front mech back on.

Interesting bits of the build so far:
1999 Sunn Totall UN frame
Pace RC36 Proclass- Eddie Irvine/Ferrari Limited edition forks
Middleburn hubs
Charge Spoon saddle
Brooks leather spoke bound grips
Ritchey Force lite bars
Syncros stem
Race face turbines (stripped black anno & partially pollished)
Old style Hope skewers

Im affraid I shall be going Shimano for the rear mech, due to not wishing to spend much and use the bits I have.

P1010239.jpg

P1010241.jpg

P1010240.jpg

P1010242.jpg

P1010244.jpg

Sadly due to my impending move to London (approx 6 mnths) this is one of the bikes I will be looking to part with later on, as my London accomodation will no doubt be substantially less palacial than my current Oxford flat, and space will be at a premium. Hence why I am not looking to spend much on the build.

I am wanting to get it together and give it a blast first though!

----------------------------END OF UPDATE---------------------------------------

Massive thanks to the ebay watch forum for bringing my attention to this frame for a bargain price.

I will use this thread to show the build as and when things happen.

So far I have just been playing around with parts from my bits box.

P1010153.jpg

(yes I know the bars look silly!)

I have some race face turbines ready to go on, but I need to pick up the BB from Leeds first. (the icky looking truativ chainset was included in the auction)

I am sort of looking out for a proper sunn fork for it as I understand the travel was intended to be around 55mm, however I think the irvine fork/middleburn wheel set look pretty good.

Rob, Loving the frames .... But would like if possible to pick your brains with the bike stand?

Looking for ways of storing the bikes better in the garage, what are the measuments of the stand? How far out from the wall does it come?

Looks like the start of a beautiful relationship. Even if you find a set of obsys forks on the cheap, I reckon you'd end up putting something else on the front most of the time, as even back then they were never that great, and hardly objects d'art (excuse my french).

Looking forwards to seeing how it turns out- shoudl be special.

Oh, if only I hadn't decided to go to bed instead of bid... ;)

crouch_potato":3ppw6wkj said:
Looks like the start of a beautiful relationship. Even if you find a set of obsys forks on the cheap, I reckon you'd end up putting something else on the front most of the time, as even back then they were never that great, and hardly objects d'art (excuse my french).

Looking forwards to seeing how it turns out- shoudl be special.

Oh, if only I hadn't decided to go to bed instead of bid... ;)

teasing the sunn buffs ;)

they're "guys forks" - they decreased the discomfort in comparison with rigid ones. If the trail is stony you appreciate it. And in good condition, they do not need much servicing. and they re quite light

What do you 8need 80 or 100 travel for ;)

Must admit i like your frame the black and white sets it off.. (wish i saw it on the Bay)

Hope your going to keep the red bits on it.

Any more progress on the build I'm very intrested to see how she turns out... Need more pic's.

teasing the sunn buffs ;)

they're "guys forks" - they decreased the discomfort in comparison with rigid ones. If the trail is stony you appreciate it. And in good condition, they do not need much servicing. and they re quite light

Well I usually ride mine with either Pace rigid RC30s or RC31s (and sometimes RC39s (with 100mm travel)) so it's not really a comfort or weight issue. The obsys forks don't often come out of the garage I'm afraid.

stoner":1eoxru6p said:
Must admit i like your frame the black and white sets it off.. (wish i saw it on the Bay)

Hope your going to keep the red bits on it.

Any more progress on the build I'm very intrested to see how she turns out... Need more pic's.

Sorry no further progess, its currently sat all cold and lonely in my Oxfordshire flat and I am living on the southcoast at the moment, I may go and visit it and sprinkle a few more parts onto it at the weekend.

Daj, the stand protrudes probably 50cm out from the wall with no bikes on it. I'll check that when I am next int'oxford.

Just been doing a little more digging on my Sunn...

www.le-jurassien.com/sunn (Thanks for the link "bduc61")

Found my frame in the 98' Catalogue but not in the 99' so looks like the frame was indeed re-badged and sold as a 99' hence 99' decals...

well the bike in 98' was sold built with Sram 5.0 mechs, Obsys 55 fork and all the rest was Sunn parts, frame was made out of Tange DB...

Take a look at the site tells you loads...(look at the pics can't read french)
:LOL:

Still not been back to Oxford :p

I will drop in on monday and take it up to Leeds with me...most the parts I need are in Leeds I think any way.

Latest posts

Back