1996 GT Zaskar Ball Burnished 16"

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Damn bikes bloody addicted to building the buggers. Always end up selling them at a loss, but one day going to build a bigger shed so I can have my own little GT museum :D

Just bought a 16" 1996 Zaskar BB frame from Chris. See my thread under.

WANTED GT Project Anyone got any Frames????

Guessing 80mm Max front suspension am I right?
Is the Seatpost diameter 27mm?

Should I go totally retro trying to source NOS or mint parts? Or (sacrilege :twisted: ) should I go new, with parts sympathetic to the look of the classic GT? Or should I go carbon crazy?

Anybody got suggestion of parts?

Before I decide just thought I'd post here to see if anybody had any views, ideas, etc. Also would be really helpfull if any body with old frame Zaskar builds could post a couple of pics to give me some pointers.

The frame hasn't arrived, yet only purchased today. Will post a pic when it lands and hopefully will use this thread to show the build in progress.

Congratulations on the purchase, i'm a wee bit jealous though as i had a 16" Zaskar before and loved it, bought it new in about 95 will get another someday.

Best metal polish i've used is Autosol, Halfords sell it so it may well be the stuff you have used already.

Forks should be ok but you may be better with 60mm, i'm sure standard Judys are around 60mm anyway or what about a set of Manitou 4's ?

How you do the build is up to you, if you plan to use the bike regular a few modern bits is ok, i'd still try and use five bolt cranks and a square taper BB though but modern rims, tyres and seat probably wont be frowned on too much, whatever you do dont fit riser bars and bar ends :LOL: .

I've found mid 90's stuff fairly easy to find if you are doing a period build, since i've joined this site i've bought a couple of sets of XT V brakes and mechs in pretty mint condition also seen loads of mechs and shifters for sale for reasonable money.

Syncro's or Controltech post, bars and stem will work well, as the frame is polished i'd go for black for these but go for silver cranks and rings and probably wheel rims, having everything black will make it look modern and heavy so it needs to be a mix really.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Looks like a bargain :cool: , the Retro bug has got a grip though i'm afraid, there is still a chance to run while you can though, before you are totaly skint, living in a cardboard box surrounded by cool bikes and bits :LOL:

Here's a couple of pic's of the Zaskar frame from Chris, looks in good condition

Attachments

• Frame Number.jpg
    Frame Number.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,536
  • Chris Zaskar 1.jpg
    Chris Zaskar 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,536
  • Chris Zaskar 2.jpg
    Chris Zaskar 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,536
jimihendrix":15j4471h said:
Looks like a bargain :cool: , the Retro bug has got a grip though i'm afraid, there is still a chance to run while you can though, before you are totaly skint, living in a cardboard box surrounded by cool bikes and bits :LOL:

You obviously know where I live. :LOL:

The thing is back 15 years ago I was skint now I aint so I think it's me trying to recapture my youth. Really old now 37 years young but still took my bike upto the top of Pen-y-Fan last Friday and bled a few times :D

I've got a nice kore elite stem and seatpost that I had earmarked for this build ;)

Also most of a period xt groupset.

Chris.

I upgraded from my GT Outpost Trail at the tail end of 1997 to a brand new, custom, ball burnished Zaskar. It was amazing and I miss it (got nicked in 2005). The seatpost was an odd size but I can't remember which - I had a USE post in it shimmed out - and ran 100mm forks with no problem. Get a short stem and riser bars and shred some singletrack!

Here's a pic of the Avalanche I replaced the Zaskar with - mostly the same build as the Zaskar and rides exactly the same.

Attachments

• GT Avalanche.jpg
    GT Avalanche.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 2,865
Back