Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ameybrook's Kona Lava Dome

• Ransetsu's Salsa a la Carte

• felixdelrio's 1991 Boulder Gazelle

• Total voters
I'm with you Jez I voted Kona too and not just because its had a nice paint job and to be fair that is one hell of a colour but because as it was said earlier in the topic due to the story the before and after pics, and the work that has gone into making it look nice again, not only is it a old and tired looking bike that has beenr escued it was his original old and tired bike that he's gone back to and gave it a new lease of life. Just because it only cost 500 quid or whatever and was more off the shelf doesn't make it any less deserving of bike of the month. But of course like everybody else you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that and you vote for whatever you think is right, I think its been a hard decision this time as the boulder, merlin and salsa are fantastic bikes. But had to go with the kona as the story was behind in was nice and like I say was great to see the before and after pics. P.S. sorry for the rant, may the best bike win lol

I agree with ransetsu. OK, the Kona's moving story and everything but that Merlin has been my dream bike since 1995. That's moving, too.
Let's say something, if the owner offer us their bikes I'll have the Merlin and you can have the Lava Dome :twisted:

I can't decide which way to vote on this... it's really hard as the heart and the head swing different ways :?

Head - Merlin and Boulder due to rarity and drool value :cool:

Heart - Salsa and Kona due to the story's and obvious use and abuse these bikes have had over the years, and subsequently the joy they have given (and are still giving) the original owners. :D

Further -
Merlin - I also drooled over the Merlin when I saw it in the mags, but I remember the review was not as glowing as expected. Probably any other month this would walk it (except for the crime of the headset spacers - sort it out).

Boulder - I've ridden a boulder, not that impressed at the time but I know that it was really pushing the boundaries. A truly beautifull example and the work that went into it deserves for it to win, and it really should win any month.

Salsa - I love these, and the fact that this one still has original components and the owner saying it is still getting used is swinging me over in this direction. What's putting me off a little is that there are some things about that picture which look wrong if this bike has seen any real use. The pristeen white saddle and umma gumma tyres with tread show a lack of use, as does the paint on the stays which should be rubbed off? This makes me think this bike has not really seen a lot of use and perhaps it's more of a garage queen that the owner is letting on? (please don't take this too harshly as it's still very very lovely :roll: )

Kona - it's a Lava Dome... but with a great story and pimpy components. Dare I say it's a bit "Chav" with such components hanging off what is a plain jane frame? But I can see why the owner has chosen to do this and if it were an Explosif or a Hot etc it would walk this. The return to the original owner who raced and loved this frame is such a great story that it would deserve to win even without the gold chains :roll:

Very very difficult to call - but I think I'm going to have to go with the Kona... I can't believe I'm going to vote for a chaved up Lava Dome against such fantastic bikes :oops:

Boulder for me, love the look of those frames and that one just looks right. The merlin is a stunning frame, just not sure those forks suit it though.

Grimtech":6dhwi0cs said:
Hand polishing the frame from the tatty state it was in, and sourcing original genuine decals for the down tube.

deffo a great bike and not meant as criticism but the decals are not the original old Merlin decals. those are from after 2002 and unfortunately the only ones still available from Merlin. The original ones occasionally pop up on ebay.

1489Merlin_Suspension.jpg

Carsten

Wow... I'm honored that the Lava Dome even competes with these other bikes. Thanks all.

Messiah's absolutely right, there's bling components hanging off a mid to low range frame... but thats what I did when I was 15. I had the frame I liked (or at least was getting the job done in place of a more expensive one I couldn't afford). When something broke, I simply replaced each part after one I lusted for. At one point the Lava Dome had a full XT kit, a Specialized Future Shock, and anodized blue everywhere. I wish I could find the pics, it was awful looking.

When building this, I tried to think back to everything I wanted but couldn't afford when I was 15.

Soem really nice builds there guys, beautiful, great to see the Boulder in there...but for me the Salsa takes it...just! :cool:

ameybrook":347eztc3 said:
...and anodized blue everywhere.

Yuk, thats must have looked awful with the original frame colour!!!

I've just got my hands on some blue Magura HS33s and I'm really struggling to find a colour for the frame that will look good with them other than black or white.

Back