klunker Project

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Time to reveal my latest project. Going way back to the beginning this time. 1930's Schwinn Excelsior ('34 maybe '35??)

Going for a 10 speed with canti brakes

Spec will be Cooks replica Forks by Rody at Groovy, B-72 saddle, shimano 600 large flange hubs on Araya 7X rims, Dia Compe cantis, Tommaselli levers, Suntour GT mechs with Mighty shifters, Nervar Crankset on Phil Wood BB, Triumph T-100 Tiger bars and whatever else turns up.

I have to braze on some canti mounts when I get into my new workshop next week and then get the paint on those ancient tubes- going for metalic purple velvet with cream front scallops.

I'm about 60% there on parts and will have a long wait for the forks but I want this up and running for the summer- its going to be my commuter bike :LOL:

Enjoy!

Attachments

• SCHWINN.jpg
    SCHWINN.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,066
Looking forward to this build,as i have promised myself a Schwinn.

should get round to starting a build later in the year! Good luck with it,and keep us posted every step.Please. :D

Al.

sweeet! are there any cooler bikes... and a nice list of period correct parts too... what are you doing for tyres Si?

I would love to build one but the parts required strike me as being rather tricky to get hold of, then theres the difficulties involved with the build...new braze work etc.

Cheers guys. Really excited by this project, they are such beautiful bikes.

Tyre wise I'm going to look for some period Goodyears or the like for it's pics but will revert to some modern DH 2.5's for when in use.

Frame turned up on eBay earlier this month- it was badly listed and wasn't too expensive even though I put in a very strong bid. I was still smarting after missing out on a nice '43 frame end of last year.

Parts ain't too hard to find, plenty to choose from and specs are quite loose. I have some friends that mess with classic motor cycles and they have raided their stashes for some of the parts, rest have turned up on the bay. Not too expensive too if you are patient. Put it this way, this is much easier to build than an original spec RC100, this I know from bitter experience! As for the brazing- my grandfather told me when I was 14 that if you can piss you can braze- he wasn't wrong, it's a doddle!

Will keep you guys up to date

Si

Looking forward to this one :cool: what do the forks look like?

kaiser":2awzwvs4 said:
Looking forward to this one :cool: what do the forks look like?

orange_01.jpg

cook bros fork.

Back