Saracen Kili Ultra Titanium and Look Fournales

Xesh

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a frame I bought and was told that it was a Kili Ultra Ti but I don't know what year it is. I also would like to know what seatpost size it uses (I suspect it's a 26.8 but I'm not sure).

Also can anyone tell me if anyone does spares for the Fournales fork?

Attachments

• KiliUltraTiframe05a.JPG
    KiliUltraTiframe05a.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 4,389
  • KiliUltraTiframe02a.JPG
    KiliUltraTiframe02a.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 4,389
  • KiliUltraTiframe01a.JPG
    KiliUltraTiframe01a.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 4,389
'93 ;)

I have the Kili XTR Elite frameset from that year. Not sure if the 'post is the same but mine is a 26.4mm

Looks a bit rough at the seat-tube/top-tube junction? :?

cherrybomb":yt4h3og2 said:
Corduroyboy":yt4h3og2 said:

It looks like there might have been a cable guide removed from there maybe?

Possibly. It seems to be v-brake only on the rear. That's why I was thinking that it was 95, or later, but I don't know how many years they made them for.

Also is it normal to have that weld around the seat tube or has it been repaired at some point.

I have tried a 27.0 seatpost in it and it goes in about an inch, that's why I think that it might be a 26.8. I hope it is, as there's a nos XT one on the bay at the mo. ;)

Xesh":rcyh7eyl said:
Also is it normal to have that weld around the seat tube or has it been repaired at some point.

I don't think it's a repair, it looks like a change in external diameter. Can't say about the internal diameter without measuring.

cherrybomb":tujghepv said:
Corduroyboy":tujghepv said:

It looks like there might have been a cable guide removed from there maybe?

Yes indeed! This cable guide-tube has been removed:

Picture319.jpg

Must have been a little titanium tube - it looks as though it was welded to the junction.

Ah, my misunderstanding, sorry. I thought you were referring to the welding and the change in tube diameter, I see now that you were asking about the weld that corduroyboy is pointing out - yep, I'd agree with him, looks like the guide has been removed.
:D

stevek":1i2vzv4v said:
Ah, my misunderstanding, sorry. I thought you were referring to the welding and the change in tube diameter, I see now that you were asking about the weld that corduroyboy is pointing out - yep, I'd agree with him, looks like the guide has been removed.
:D

No, you were right stevek! Xesh was referring to two parts of the frame - the rough area near the top-tube/seat-tube junction and the circular weld around the seat-tube a little lower down!

By the way Xesh, I have the '93 Saracen catalogue somewhere as well as the interview with Mike Edwards (of Jesus Jones fame) who talks about his Saracen Kili Ultra...

p.s. Pace RC35AB if you can't get hold of the rigid titanium forks ;)

Corduroyboy":3l35q0xh said:
No, you were right stevek! Xesh was referring to two parts of the frame - the rough area near the top-tube/seat-tube junction and the circular weld around the seat-tube a little lower down!

That's exactly what I was referring to.

Corduroyboy":3l35q0xh said:
By the way Xesh, I have the '93 Saracen catalogue somewhere as well as the interview with Mike Edwards (of Jesus Jones fame) who talks about his Saracen Kili Ultra...

p.s. Pace RC35AB if you can't get hold of the rigid titanium forks ;)

I've got the '93 catalogue too but the pic is very small and I wasn't sure if it was the same model year.

I take it that the weld on the seat tube is due to the fact that, at the time, titanium couldn't be butted like it is today.

As for forks I've got a set of Look Fournales on it at the mo. The one problem with them is that one of the brake bosses needs replacing, as the hole for the brake spring is broken. Hence my other question about how to get replacement parts.

As to the Ti forks if I can get some that would be nice but how often do they come up for sale? This is the only Kili Ultra Ti that I've ever seen and I've been looking for a few years now.

Latest posts

Back