1996 Lava Dome

ancient biker

Devout Dirtbag
I've cleaned this bike up and replaced various bits. New bits - chainset, pedals, cassette, tyres, shifters, BB, saddle and grips. And theres a very modern front mech on there at the moment :shock: - it went to the LBS and they actally had a NOS LX one but it had the wrong pull!

I like the colour of the frame and i've added a bit of blue to tie in with the colour on the logo. Not perhaps the best shade/ colour match but its a wee bit different. :D

Surprisingly light for a big bike and that usual great Kona ride. Thanks to all those who supplied bits. Hope you enjoy.

Darren

Attachments

• IMG_3669.JPG
    IMG_3669.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,744
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,745
  • IMG_3672.JPG
    IMG_3672.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 1,744
Makes a handsome partnership with your beech hedge. It was an orange 96 Lava Dome that made the highest price on eBay for any Lava Dome last year. With good kit admittedly, but that colour has a lot of admirers.

A size 20 frame only weighs about a quarter of a pound more than a size 18, so no need to be surprised that it feels light. If you think of bike weight in relation to rider body weight, big bikes are the lightest!

my 18in 96 lava dome weighs bugger all. dont know exactly how much, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was 23lb or less

it does have a Ti seatpost, triple butted project 2's, lightweight mavic crossride wheels, and 1.9in kevlar tyres though

sweet bike, cool colour. you just need to tuck your brake cable into the little slot made for it though.

Back