Awesome names...the era of great MTB manufacturers

Sorry Jez, I think you need to take off your rose coloured glasses for a while.

While I agree that there are some particularly dodgy graphic etc about at the moment and brown, black and camo are in over supply, there are some equally tasteless designs and products in abundance from the mid 80s onwards. Especially on the name brand bikes.

e.g a friends commuter is a KHS badged Ritchey team frame (circa 90-91). He never has to lock it up as the factory team fluro hot pink and blue is so ugly that no one would ever want to steal it - or get close enough to see what it is (his words).

While some brands have gone there are others small brands which hae taken their place, that produce nice simple understated designs that work. They may also be flying under your radar too, if you aren't in the market for there product. ;)

andrewl":128svgxa said:
jez-2-many-bikes":128svgxa said:
Was looking at that Aluminium O I have in the garage- the decals on that whilst simple, were really cool. Love it. Thats the way it should be. No stripes or flared streaks that Giant, Speccy and Trek etc have gone with in recent times. Just frame name and model. Cool. Simple. Nice.

Like it simple. Classy. yeah...

Maybe you need to consider getting a Turner, nothing overstated about these frames, or sealed bearings to fail, they're just designed to work. :cool:

have you seens jezs curtlo? even more understated & from a retro source :D

Fish Lips always used to make me chuckle, the bike was called the Toxic Tuna :D

The best tyre name I remember hearing was Cyclepro Motivator, cooool!

Stu

Bear-Chan":14vrq7tj said:
i think the most distressing case for me is kona - 93, 94 maybe even 95 they looked amazing - simple, elegant lines colours and graphics. the swirly headtube badge/logo was tops.
97 started to get a bit ott maybe with all the flowers n stuff on the headbadge (imo). im not sure what happened between then and now as i stopped looking, but what i see now makes me very upset indeed! the stencil font looks very bad. very bad indeed. i agree with the comments about all the gothic font street bike dribble as well... too much bmx not enough trees.
actually, ive just looked at konas site and it seems maybe for 2007 theyve dropped the horrid stencil font?
sorry... ranty rambly post!

No worries, Im gonna rant and ramble some more.....

Aside from ruining their logos, the worst thing about modern Konas is their dull names. They used to give us cool Hawaiian inspired names. Now they sell us the "Stuff" the "Roast" and probably the "Scab". Not sure if they still make this one and to be honest, I dont care.

And, why did they drop the Muni-Mula, and Pahoehoe (cool) and replace them with the Kula and the Kula Deluxe?? And, now the old Kula is called the Kula Supreme, they've made it sound like a pizza. :evil: :evil:
And, why have all the Kulas got stupid two/three tone paint jobs?? :evil:

Im really quite upset about the way Kona have gone. Dont get me started on the 07 Hei Hei. :evil:

Rant over.

I agree. Pointless over marketting.

How many bikes have they got in their line up!?!

Made me chuckle seeing the sheer list of all bikes - I initially clicked "mountain bikes" (there incidentally is only 5 in the range of the "mountain bike")

Mad! Bike for different weather, terrain, day of the week, mood and whether your on the blob or not.

haha

jez-2-many-bikes":1vpg0jeb said:
I agree. Pointless over marketting.

How many bikes have they got in their line up!?!

Made me chuckle seeing the sheer list of all bikes - I initially clicked "mountain bikes" (there incidentally is only 5 in the range of the "mountain bike")

Mad! Bike for different weather, terrain, day of the week, mood and whether your on the blob or not.

haha

So that's what the 'KONA LISA RD' is, RD=Red day :LOL:

Back