Frame identification

sadoldsamurai

Dirt Disciple
I have an old frame, its been resprayed with the shop's decals fitted. The lugwork is nothing spectacular..Its a nice tight frame, if all I have is the frame number stamped on the bottom bracket can I identify the maker?

I don't know much about road bikes, but could be a yes, could be a no.

Pictures will probably be better and an estimated age.

It's so hard to tell just from a frame number. there are tons of bikes out there where people are in the same boat, myself included. unless it has specific features or something unusual it it nigh on impossible, but and its a big but it's not improbable. That was the long winded way of saying what fluffy chicken said :D

Frame has been well and truely re-sprayed, and lugwork is fairly plain, no distingusihing features visible, so don't think photos would help however photos being added at http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/sadoldsamurai/Unnamed 21in could be 531 dbbtt frame circa 1970/ if you are interested.. and with regard to later comments about frame (maker) ID..this is the frame in question..

Try this.

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97 ... ca%201970/

From the look of the lugs and ends of the seat stays I'd be inclined to say it's nothing special, high end stuff tends to have far finer lugs filed down before and after being brazed. It has some nice components though like the old 600 shifters. I don't think it's the cheapest of the cheap as it has a rear mech hanger on the drop out. As for identity it could be any number of things. British Eagle, a Holdsworthy built Claude Butler... Mind you I'm no expert and am probably wrong.

Got to agree the lugs look like standard off the peg stuff and they've not been nicely finished off. So nothing top end, but not a steam pipe special either.

Looks like a dawes/ holdsworth

CB would have CB on the rear drop-outs

Lots of stuff from that era had wrap around seat stays, this ones quite conventional.

It says John Hardisty on it. He was/is a frame builder (or at the very least a supplier) in the Newcastle area I believe.

Did he not have anything to do with the original build?

If it is a frame from the Newcastle area originally then it could be one of several actual builders.

Frame type

Hi I bought the frame from John Hardisty (who I knew perosnally) while he had the shop at the top of Sheilds Rd. He never made frames, he was more of a time trialer..his son was a not half bad track rider, wonder where they are now?

Back