Sunn build what do you think? BY STONER

JeRkY":3flplhr9 said:
Looks good, I have just won a similar Sunn soft tail on the bay, dont suppose you can shine any light on what model/year/whatever it is can you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0293771438

Hopefuly going to collect at the weekend.
So it was U who out bid me :D
Whatever you do don't put any US kit on it, thats a red card offence! has to be all Euro components!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Haha! I won it by 10 p ...that was my max bid, I wasnt expecting to get away with it :p

I have just grabbed some RC38's that may prop up the front end either that or some RC36's, Middleburn wheel set will provide the roll.

I have to admit I was thinking Race face cranks (as I have some spare) which should nicely summerise the anglo-french relationship quite nicely.

Sunn

Get the US kit off it!! NOW! total never to be done, Spesh stem and Coda bars??? That's a crime. Syncros bars n Stem, Mavic headset, Obsys forks, Sachs or Egs mechs or at least Campy. Nice frame otherwise.

Re: Sunn

Wold Ranger":1d7fahjg said:
Get the US kit off it!! NOW! total never to be done, Spesh stem and Coda bars??? That's a crime. Syncros bars n Stem, Mavic headset, Obsys forks, Sachs or Egs mechs or at least Campy. Nice frame otherwise.

for that period, the Sunn buffs are actually split between SRAM and Shimano for the mechs as it was the original possible mounts ( SRAM 9.0 SL for the top range with gripshift or shimano XTR with triggers)
;)
for the best frames , cranks were always race face turbine with TA rings
and the forks obsys (carbon or 55)
brakes were either avid V brakes or XTR.

you'll find it all at
www.le-jurassien.com/sunn
with all the period catalogs :idea:

bduc61":q9y9msm8 said:
Wold Ranger":q9y9msm8 said:

for that period, the Sunn buffs are actually split between SRAM and Shimano for the mechs as it was the original possible mounts ( SRAM 9.0 SL for the top range with gripshift or shimano XTR with triggers)
;)
for the best frames , cranks were always race face turbine with TA rings
and the forks obsys (carbon or 55)
brakes were either avid V brakes or XTR.

you'll find it all at
www.le-jurassien.com/sunn
with all the period catalogs :idea:

You sir are a legend, cheers for the link.
Luckily I have a turbine crank spare, and Sram may be the way to go. The yhing that will be difficult is the fork as they seem pretty rare.

JeRkY":2h90ud5o said:
You sir are a legend, cheers for the link.
Luckily I have a turbine crank spare, and Sram may be the way to go. The yhing that will be difficult is the fork as they seem pretty rare.

I wish I were ... ;)
it not my creation this site ! and there are some much more nutty sunbuffs than I am ( I committed a sin lately - bought a breezer lightning !)

forks are a bit tricky to source it is true.
will try to keep that in mind for you - might be lucky ;)
do you have a budget ?

if not an obsys then its not more than 65mm forks only with these frames or rigid if you are tough and there aren't that many stones on your trails ;)

:oops: I have just done a quick build with some 100mm RC36 stealths that I had handy.... sure looks pretty!:LOL:

I cant ride it though, missing some brakes.

I am very impressed with the condition of the frame and can now confirm it is a 99 model Totall UN.

It came with a very short seatpost and some nasty looking (but good condition) truativ X force cranks.. I have no idea about truativ stuff...its all a little new for me.

Cheers for keeping an eye open for forks, I would have thought £70 or so max, or I could swap for various pace models.

Sunn

My local bike shop had the full compliment of these BITD including a Ti soft tail version, off memory tho they had egs rear mechs and Campag/Sachs mix with some Sram later. Sunn did their own wheelset and a lot of their own kit, bars stem seatpost were all own brand.
They were poor sellers tho as everyone who bought top end wanted Kleins (YUK) they have mostly thankfully cracked and died, while most of the Sunns that sold are still going strong Mmmm!

Wold Ranger":xg99l0nw said:

The Spesh stem and coda bars were the only bits we could find and the fork is from Cannondale and was the only one we had that would fit....
But the Sram bits were made in france, writen all over them...

I like it as is, did'nt build bike to be anything more than it is, just parts lying around the shed put together to do a job and it does it very well.. :)

Back