Unusual Manitou 2 fork

I think he was testing our knowledge of rare parts rather than asking for advice, as these are a little special, not just normal Manitou forks. The stantions are infact carbon rather than alloy or steel as is the steerer tube. Mods were done by a small boutique company back in the 'every gram counts' days. Check out the weights verse the standard manitou weight. :D

Edit: and I didn't spot it, I had to search the interweb, shows how much I know!

My original post was intended to spark discussion. I knew they were rare even back then. Never read a review. Think I spotted a small ad in MTB Action.
I used them for 10 years was a response to the 'cut n shut' replies.

The flash on the photo reflected residual grease & graphite on the stantions. The are carbon graphite bonded into the crown. The steerer tube needs to be bonded to alloy to allow fitment.
Its an ahead variation with standard 1 1/4" threaded headset & ahead stem clamped over a thin alloy sleeve on the exposed thread above the locknut.

Pete Did you find any internet info on these ? I could not. Part of the reason I posted on here. Expected someone to know more.

alastairg":3uzcvq08 said:
The flash on the photo reflected residual grease & graphite on the stantions. The are carbon graphite bonded into the crown. The steerer tube needs to be bonded to alloy to allow fitment.
Its an ahead variation with standard 1 1/4" threaded headset & ahead stem clamped over a thin alloy sleeve on the exposed thread above the locknut

Well then my mind is blown *head explodes* :shock: If that is a carbon steerer and a stanchion set then I don't know what to think. Still when I look at them I see steel and alloy.

Pete can you post what you found so I can understand the craziness?

Dr.Robotnik":kbkkshl0 said:
Pete can you post what you found so I can understand the craziness?

Nothing specifically about Auriga or this upgrades but loads of mentions of hop-up kits from BITD including carbon, titanium and aluminium stanchions - none of which worked perfectly (carbon too brittle and not smooth enough, titanium too sticky, aluminium wore too quickly without special coatings). Manitou's were the ones to do it to apparently as they didn't have liquids or gases sloshing around and were fairly simple. I was searching for a long while with very bizarre keywords to find owt so I'll have to go through my history to find the mentions, but I know a number where on MTBR.

FirstFlight had some Ti ones posted up the other day and I know they also had some black ones on their site so he may be a good bet for a bit of info.

Take a look at the stanchion above the crown. Its carbon/graphite. I will take more pictures & scan the original documents.
I have explained the steerer tube. Part carbon bonded to OEM steerer to allow fitment.

Back