cycling job

pigman

Old School Grand Master
no vested interest and not trying to run an ad, just helping retrobike jobseekers.

Bike it officer, working for sustrans, sheffield based up to £25k. Promoting cycling to schools. Phone no if interested 0117 926 8893, closing date 30th jan.

Appears in this weeks sheffield council vacancy list.

wot a coincidence.....ive just applied for the great yarmouth and gorleston position.....for what its worth for those who dont know i am a cycling prof teacher and road safety accident reduction officer for norwich city council......i showed my boss the application form and he kinda went a bit mad.he phoned up his boss (wont name them cof ian)to let him know.turns out sustrans are doing this without telling the councils running the existing set up that they themselves are trying to do .the job description is roughly what he does for a job so you can see why he got miffed.other points include not using cars to travel to work?????how do you run a set up proffesionally co ordinating between schools ,local council and other bodies by phoning them up and saying something like.....ill come round and see you in about 2 hours cos i have to use the bus.....or all the paperwork you cart about .....cant put that in a rucksack.its insane.the decription makes the job come across as you being the hub betwixt all the organisations as well as the council ,sports organisation and schools.....and all this being done in under 37 hours a week for up to 25g.hmmmmmm .you can not do this level of work in the criteria they suggest.it isnt possible.i have enough trouble just getting local schools to get a road safety scheme up and running....cycling lessons are just as hard to arrange as well...at the mo i have 5 schools doing stuff at the mo and that keeps me very busy...
i also get the feeling that this job is purely office work ...wot do u think....personally im not sure i should have applied as i prefer to be more hands on as the kids are so much more fun to work with against a room full of ties doing their very best office committee impression.arrrggggggggggg.

ps on monday im off to dereham to participate in a area meeting/team spirit building exercise for 9 hours....at least the food and coffee is free...last year we met the designer of the lotus bike...local guy helped with giant for a while......has a nice carbon recumbant .....comments please ...keep it clean. :D

nope ...was mike burrows imself it was ...gave a nice speech on the history of cycling and some nice piccies on some old bikes he did back in the day :cool:

footnote time........had the oppo to work with the norfolk bike it officer on friday....seemed very keen to get started.....turns out hes a roadie who cycles on a fold up brompton(in black) between schools..i think overall considering the requirements im glad i didnt get the job in the end...not sure id want all that stress (quite a bit of money involved getting projects off the ground and running)....hope he does well .

Back