EBAY - keep you mouth shut

Last Post – sorry to have wasted your time.

Obviously I am in the wrong crowd.

My conclusion of this retroBIKE site: this is a knowledgeable, friendly, caring, and helpful bunch, something I am not used to seeing on forums. Or my neck of the woods. Maybe I belong in the other Danish forum, Kona Paul is talking about.

I can clearly see now that the original post was wrong, as it was written in haste, anger at being sniped and manipulated by eBay (many of times, and probably by a few members here). Confrontational and wrong choice of words in the original post – most definitely. I was taught: they're only your friends until money is involved.

To everyone’s delight (especially legrandfromage), I will cancel my account and not cause any further trouble. Of course I didn’t mean about the “primary school” thing (you know I was just pissed off at the time and saying things I didn’t mean).

Before doing so, I like to ask a hypothetical question, which will help me understand the crowd on this forum better. Maybe it sounds childish or naive, or maybe it’s not even revelant to the OP, but I’m just curious:

---
An unknown seller is selling his bike frame for 500 euros, private sale. You, the buyer, know it’s worth at the very least 1200+ euros.

A) Do you pay him the 500, take the frame, and leave.

B) Educate the seller that his frame is worth more than the 500 asking price, pay him 800 euros (or true market price), take the frame, and leave.

C) Do nothing.

D) None of the above.

---

Just a hypothetical question. Stupid? – maybe. Just out of my curiosity.

Again, sorry for stirring your pot. Let’s all wish I know how to cancel my account.

-The eBay auction that upset me didn’t involve Kooka products. I wouldn’t touch that stuff. Or even the Pauls Components or Kleins. I’m more about functionality than bling.

--The first rule (eBay) is NOT my personal rule. It’s common sense and practice by many (online and at live auction everywhere). Bold to say, it is preached by Experts.

Just my opinion…. –> had to put that in there, just in case I offend someone.

Best Regards and no hard feeling,

Z

After 6 pages of opinions different than yours, i see almost the same attitude regarding this matter, only now you write with irony and sarcasm.

Is it so hard to understand that even if you don´t put the ebay link here, there will always be 50 retrobikers and 250 other potential buyers (some never heard of retrobike) looking for that same small part you want for a bargain? Don´t you realise that you can only get a bargain on ebay if you get luck? Is it so hard to understand that even if you´re not interested on some item, you might be kind enough to share it with a community where someone might have interest on it? Do you think you´re lucky enough to spot a good bargain that others haven´t saw before?

Sorry dude, but you can only get a retro part on ebay these days if you´re willing to pay good money or be a very lucky fella. Maybe you don´t have the state of mind to do this, as you say...

Just my opinion...

this thread is great full of good slagging match material sorry to say greenz but you did kinda ask for that fella, ebay watch is for us at retrobike a means to help each other find that part your after and no one pays more than they want to any way for anything. unlike stw and other sites full of arse hole vultures that go mine mine mine and kick off if you "out" somthing retrobike is full of grown ups that are past that shit selfish sence of thinking, as a well respected bike mechanic and war vet i think my view on life along with others here is a little broader than that of you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: one word of advice live and let live it will help you through life easier or you might end up saying the wrong thing to the wrong person its easier to just stay quite ;) ;)

greenZ":693lkemq said:
Last Post – sorry to have wasted your time.

Obviously I am in the wrong crowd.

To everyone’s delight (especially legrandfromage), I will cancel my account and not cause any further trouble. Of course I didn’t mean about the “primary school” thing (you know I was just pissed off at the time and saying things I didn’t mean).

Again, sorry for stirring your pot. Let’s all wish I know how to cancel my account.

Regards and no hard feeling,

Z

Ok ,Please dont make any rash decisions about leaving,nobody's asking you to :D Everyone gets into a bit of a fire fight here at one time or another, I think i had less posts than you when i got into one with John[sir] over something stupid(also ebay related wouldnt you bloody well know it] and i overreacted a bit :oops:
'Truthful' reply's were thick and fast and i was afraid they'd ask me to leave.I'm very glad there was no [for want of a better phrase]' Dear John' PM saying Bye-bye :LOL:

Your 'Primary' comment reminds me of the kind of throw-away comment you see in online gaming,so maybe it was a silly ,heat of the moment thing .you regretted adding 2 secs after submitting and i do believe that you meant nothing malicious by it[thats the problem, once its posted-its posted :oops: :LOL: :LOL: ]

Last thing-
What was it you were after? You can wait for ages on ebay,Here you'll get
A a better Choice
B find someones got three ,nos,in different colours.
C you wont get into a crazy bidding war ,where you pay well over the odds for something that hasnt had someone polishing it insanely ;) :LOL: :LOL:
D E F G H I J relates the debate to whether it is retro or not[See J for advice on this ;) :LOL: ]

Dont GO we Need Access to your bike/part collection ;)

And your 'Hypothetical' question is loaded
But..........
As i cant afford 500,id post it up for someone here that can afford it

;)

An unknown seller is selling his bike frame for 500 euros, private sale. You, the buyer, know it’s worth at the very least 1200+ euros.

A) Do you pay him the 500, take the frame, and leave.

B) Educate the seller that his frame is worth more than the 500 asking price, pay him 800 euros (or true market price), take the frame, and leave.

C) Do nothing.

D) None of the above.
Ok, I'll bite. Disclaimer: I am, by trade, a rampant capitalist (but I've been called worse)

Honestly, I would buy it. Why not? And you know what, I'd probably see if they'd take 450 for it.

If it was a frame a I wanted, I'd congratulate myself on my good fortune, probably post it on here to say "at last I got a Nimbus 2000, at a great price, too" and build it or hang it on a wall and look at it.

If it was a frame I cared nothing about, I might sell it on and buy bits I wanted with the proceeds, or swap it. Or build it. Or hang it on a wall and look at it.

Most likely, I'd keep it and see if I grew to like it. It happens. I got my Pace RC200 because I put a low snipe on an ebay auction 3 days before the end. I do this a fair amount - I put in the maximum I am willing to pay, and leave it. If it's something I want, that maximum is high compared to my expectation of the finishing price, and vice-versa. Doing this means I never pay more than I want to, but sometimes I pay less. If I don't win an auction for something I want, I didn't want it enough.

To my genuine surprise, I won that RC200. I was pleased as punch - I'd never owned a Pace before, didn't "want" one, but the opportunity to get my hands on one to see what all the fuss was about was welcomed. If I didn't like it, I was happy I could sell it on here. Worst case, I'd lose a few quid. Best case I'd make a few.

As it turned out, I was wrong: it cost me a bloody fortune. In the flesh I loved it and built it up with all the trimmings.

Would I be wrong in buying at a "low" price. In a word: no.

You know nothing about the person selling it. Maybe they need the cash quickly. Maybe they have more money than they need and want someone else to benefit from this frame. When I moved over here I gave away a couple of thousand pounds worth of stuff on freecycle, on here, to friends, relatives, colleagues, friends of friends etc. Were these people wrong to accept my generosity? Does it make a difference if money changes hands? If so, at what point does it make a difference? £1? £10? £100?

Not all sellers are sophisticated: they don't know the value of what they're selling, and can't be bothered to find out what it might be worth. More fool them.

Not all buyers are sophisticated, either.

Plus, there has to be a difference between the buy price and the sell price for anyone, anywhere to make money.

I haven't even touched on value. How do I know it's worth 1200+ euros? Am I a sophisticated buyer? Am I sure? If I saw a Klein Attitude for 500 EUR I'd think it was a good deal, but I couldn't tell you if it was pre-Trek, post-Trek or a re-badged GT Karakoram.

Clearly, this is based on me being comfortable that the frame is not stolen, or that I'm going to send this seller a cheque and never see the frame.

I hope you don't cancel your account. You sound passionate enough about losing something bike-related that you'll fit in well.

greenZ":2rm35axd said:
-The eBay auction that upset me didn’t involve Kooka products. Z

Dude that was a joke....personally I would say don't leave, this place is a wealth of knowledge and full of very cool people....you just managed to get some peoples goats that's all.

:)

Neill

I think the real question here that has been completely overlooked is why on earth did someone (John) part with good money for Cycling Weekly?

Back