EBAY - keep you mouth shut

One of the all time classic 'outed' bargains was my Bradbury Manitou. I hadn't noticed it but it got posted up on here to much discussion and then sold to me for only £150 quid - cheap for an Answer Manitou, crazy cheap for a Bradbury Manitou!

Personally I think it's a great thing in that it does pay for the site. It's not just the ebay ads down the bottom but each active link to ebay that increases revenues to the site. The bargains are everywhere, but you have to search and not just on ebay. Ebay is the lazy mans way to build a bike, the 'wait and it will come to me' approach rather than the old 'hunter gatherer' approach. The bargains are at bike jumbles and fairs, in dusty shops and classified ads where the audience is limited, not on ebay where the audience of savy buyers runs into the millions.

The other great way to get great deals is on this site, building up a network of guys that you do favours for will only bring you rewards. The karma factor is amazing on here, give away or sell a part cheap and you will get one back and it'll be one you need. I couldn't begine to tell you the parts that guys have given me to finish a build, and I have also done the same. One mans junk is another mans treasure.

the rush in the last minute win or lose is well worth it , i dont know if im going to come or have a heart attack half the time :LOL:

the thing is its very likely that whatever it is there will be another put up in a couple of weeks anyway and as the person who threw in the large bid already has one they will be less likely to bid on the next

does anyone lose something , get mad for a min and decide that they shouldnt be so tight and the fame was worth more than the fiver you put in and then spend hours scouring for something in a need to purchase ?

or is it just me :LOL:

Ive just tonight won a sunn soft tail frame & bits that was outed on here earlier in the week for £40...

Another important point is that ‘we’ are all over the world. If I post something from Australian eBay up, I’m guessing a lot of people from the UK, USA and Europe may miss it.

If I post an Australian link up I am also tacitly implying that I can be contacted to help with shipping if the seller does not want to ship overseas.

Okay, I triple-read my original post and also had a friend read it too (after dirtjumper_dmr said something about "confrontational")

A friend said it was a wrong choice of words "keep your mouth shut." That statment sounds "confrontational."

Sorry about that. I want to re-phrase:

As a buyer, I wish members would not mention every single eBay listings. It's hard to get a good deal (or build a cheap bike) when everybody knows about it. The few the players, the better, as I am sure a few hardcore members already made note of the item.

Now I hope that sounds better.

greenZ":21vxv0rj said:
If I am a seller of a bike part, I want a BIDDING WAR going. Maximum profits.

If I am a buyer of a bike part, I don't want anyone to know about the item.

legrandefromage":21vxv0rj said:
Aaaaawww... hes gone home and taken his ball with him.

JUST as I WAS getting INTO my STRIDE...

Nice reponse. Good way to let others know you barely made it through primary school.

make your mind up... on the one hand you want to make as much as possible as a seller, yet as a buyer you want it as cheap as possible!!! for fcuks sake :roll: which side of your own arguement are you on???

Lbrake95.JPG

greenZ":19ctj4ea said:
Okay, I triple-read my original post and also had a friend read it too (after dirtjumper_dmr said something about "confrontational")

A friend said it was a wrong choice of words "keep your mouth shut." That statment sounds "confrontational."

Sorry about that. I want to re-phrase:

As a buyer, I wish members would not mention every single eBay listings. It's hard to get a good deal (or build a cheap bike) when everybody knows about it. The few the players, the better, as I am sure a few hardcore members already made note of the item.

Now I hope that sounds better.

it is getting harder to build cheap bikes this retro thing is getting popular and i guess we just have to live with that.... i've been a member for less than a year but have seen so many new members since then and this site getting name checked in mags not to mention editing/writing staff from the bike mags logging on from time to time...
i've said it before but again: the nature of forums like this is that from time to time somebody will say something that others dont agree with so we all have our say/vent and then move on and we all are guilty of saying things without thinking about how it may come across to others at times (i seem to remember my xmas bonus thread caused a few people vent and looking back on it not without reason :LOL: )...

The points are:

As a BUYER, it's okay to buy something at a great price/deal. The item is worth 50 euros and one got it for say, 25 euros. I would feel good. You would feel good too.

As a SELLER, it's okay to sell sometime for a profit. Every seller feels good when he makes money.

At the time, I WAS A BUYER. I WAS A BUYER. I WAS A BUYER. I was not concern about the welfare of the seller or if he is able to provide for his family.

What sucks is when some members post everything they see on eBay Search for the sake of posting. The words get out, and now the item sparks many interest.

Sellers can post on forums and the words are out (agreed in the original post). Good chance they will make profit. Potential buyers can only relie on other members being quiet (which is impossible). The fewer the better.

Okay, I got over by recent battle on eBay :D

I'd just like to thank Hairstream and BikesInPortlandOregon who both posted the link to Ebay for this. I've been after one for months! Cheers! :D

Attachments

• zf434_1[1].jpg
    zf434_1[1].jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 953
Back