EBAY - keep you mouth shut

I'm unemployable at present and i sub my meager weekly allowance [£42] by trawling all the sites constantly ,ebay especially. Very few items pass by without me judging them for saleability
I believe ive helped fellow members find rare items they most desperately need by posting up,i also watch the wanted section of our classifieds and will pm them directly [privately]i i see something someone has inquired about
Plus i work it in reverse i check first the newly listed items

Say for instance i see a nice set of roady wheels,at a ridiculously low buy it now price that has been listed a few minuets ago by someone that normally sell car parts.
Do i post it up, or let it go and ignore it,knowing that [username] would kill for a pair.

IMHAHO i think the roadys are [careful now dyna :LOL: ] weird,seems too much like hard work in an increasingly dangerous environment ,what are they trying to prove!!? ;)
+ I cant look upon a road bike without the words-'like sitting on a razor blade' coming to mind :shock: [i'd take a road saddle over a mtb saddle anyday]
Now Now ,i dont mean i dislike road bikers
im just pointing out that i will pass on info even if it doesn't apply to my area of interest

Anything i can do, to help out my fellows here is ok by me :D :D :D

legrandefromage":sy432xwy said:
greenZ":sy432xwy said:
W W Biffta":sy432xwy said:
........ if not, the seller is getting ripped off and that aint nice to see is it?

.....seems to me the only loser is the guy who likes to profit from other peoples ignorance, which sounds like you.

When is it a crime to buy something for cheap? Why am I responsible for "other people's ignorance."

I didn't know you care so much about random unknown sellers, unless you are one. Like I said, the original post will UPSET the SELLERS here.

I am writing from a BUYER's perspective.

well CYCLE OFF and BUY something - might CHEER yourself up

:D :D :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ....... cheered me up ;)

People posting on there are generally only trying to look after fellow retrobikers. We aren't all after the same things you know. When i'm doing a project I have a shopping list with specific parts, I don't just buy any old tat that has retro/vintage/kult in the title. If I did that i'd have a house full of parts that i'd never use in my lifetime and most probably be bankrupt.

As I say if your really, really desperate for a part, advertise on the wanted thread. This is where the real bargains are to had, we retrobikers generally look after each other.

sinnett177":1xkk1rtz said:
People posting on there are generally only trying to look after fellow retrobikers. We aren't all after the same things you know. When i'm doing a project I have a shopping list with specific parts, I don't just buy any old tat that has retro/vintage/kult in the title. If I did that i'd have a house full of parts that i'd never use in my lifetime and most probably be bankrupt.

As I say if your really, really desperate for a part, advertise on the wanted thread. This is where the real bargains are to had, we retrobikers generally look after each other.

FOR my GT project I BOUGHT from HERE some NOS XT cantis. THEY were REALLY really NOS and were ONLY £20....

Yep.

Legrandfromage is right. It´s easier to find a bargain here than on ebay. Even if it isn´t posted here, there will always be more than 50 potential ebay buyers waiting for the last second to get that "bargain". You´re certainly not the only one who has ebay "under surveillance"...

greenZ":2xd9mhhv said:
I didn't know you care so much about random unknown sellers, unless you are one. Like I said, the original post will UPSET the SELLERS here.

i think that arguement is flawed as many retrobike users post items for sale on here first and ebay if it doesnt sell here... many ads posts include things like "it's going on ebay if it doesnt sell here" etc... you are basically saying that if somebody doesnt agree with your original post then it's because we're all trying to make top bucks for our stuff, this is simply not true. I dont agree with your original post because to me it seems narrow minded, maybe you've been out bid on something you wanted but thats not the fault the ebay watch section, but because you weren't prepared to pay as much as another bidder. I also thought that for a 'thread starter' it was pretty confrontational and to be honest, for me at least, that ain't the way things are done here :D

I'd like to illustrate some of what i said above: i bought my 1992 GT Karakoram from another retrobike member in the 'for sale' for £80 + postage and in my opinion it could have made way more than that on ebay but instead he chose to offer it to a fellow member in the 'for sale' section and has since let me know that he's well chuffed to see it being used and enjoyed.

ebay.. it is the preverdial double edged sword.. whichever way you cut it!

Actually, I would not even been aware of the whole retro scene if I had not stumbled over some 'retro' stuff on there.

I love ebay and I hate it at the same time :?

Ride and smile, [as Pepperman says]

Chaser.

sometimes you win the miss titled middleburn spider for 99p

sometimes you cant justify or warrant owning the £17 marzocchi mr ts , doesnt mean you hadnt seen them

sometimes the trio of vintage handmade road bikes with only " cycles " in the title disappears as someone who also spotted the folly messaged a hefty end now

im not a lover of blowing an auction out but if i knew someone was after something and i saw one ending soon with no bids id give them the heads up

im going to click on a few linkies at the bottom of the page to earn the site a few pence ;)

Okay, I re-read my post. Let it be known:

1) I am not trying to attack anyone in particular. Sorry if the original post sounds like it. I know 99,999% of the people on this forum is MORE knowledgeable than me and I've learned a lot from here.

2) I am writing from a BUYER's point of view. (I sell things too, and as a seller, I think the OPPOSITE - the more exposure, the better).

Everybody likes great deals and no one wants to pay a lot of money if one doesn't have to. Obviously, no person in their right mind is going to say, "Excuse me Sir, but the Toyota you are selling is underpriced. Please raise it up to the fair market value so I can buy it. It's not fair to you that I ripped you off."

It is good that fellow members look out for one another, especially on a nice build. At the same time (from a potential buyer's point of view), when one is posting a listing, it invites other members to the game and now we are bidding against each other (though, I'm sure a few already knows about it). Of course the items will reach the true market value and the person with the most money wins. But wouldn't it be nice to get it at a lower price than the higher market price?

If I am a seller of a bike part, I want a BIDDING WAR going. Maximum profits.

If I am a buyer of a bike part, I don't want anyone to know about the item.

Yes, I guess eBay is a double-edged sword. I, like many of you (in the closet) are mostly bargain hunting buyers.

Letting people know of a posting is nice, but when it's your turn to buy, you will think the same as me. Win some, lose some, I guess. More winning is better.

legrandefromage":2aocn6dp said:
Aaaaawww... hes gone home and taken his ball with him.

JUST as I WAS getting INTO my STRIDE...

Nice reponse. Good way to let others know you barely made it through primary school.

Latest posts

Back