The broken frames thread!

98 Kona Muni Mula. First properly nice bike I owned cracked because I was an idiot and put long travel Z1's on it... Stacking into a tree had absolutely nothing to do with it. :roll:

Still, I got a nice black 99 Chute on warranty. Wish I hadnt sold that bike.

in date order oldest to newest, though not sure of actual dates.

Raliegh Ilkestone: 531 road handbuilt, top tube bent hit a car.
Cannondale M700 and a killer V, snapped headtubes clean off.
Dave yates: frame survived, but i bent my project 2's like a low rider, doing 10 foot drops offs a Tynemouth priory.
Canondale: can't remmeber,some ultegra triathlon frame, head tube again,and this was truly a JRA, hit a pot hole about 2 inches deep.
Trek 5500: downtube lug popped, top tube snapped, held togehter by internal rear brake cable.
RC200: tore the back end off, sheered at BB then pulled rear trinagle clean off.

and i've been clean for about 5 years, touch wood.

Addition

Oh yeah ,

snapped the mech hanger off my pace RC300 on its first day out :oops: (chain not joined correctly) :oops:

A 91 Nishiki Ariel. Cracked at the wishbone seat stay. I did it in on the Porcupine Rim Trail in Moab. I ride that trail now and wonder how I ever did it without suspension.

Proflex 983 swingarm. Cracked at the weld for the brake crossbar.

Proflex 855 cracked on the main triangle near the rear swing arm mount.

Thunderchild

Broken by riding, non-crashed bikes list...

Chronologically since 1989:
1. Velo Sport Pyrenees (first MTB, unknowing that is was inadequate for purpose)

2. Fisher Celerity (crunched top tube crossing a ditch)

2. Specialized Team Stumpjumper (at the derr. cable braze-ons, like every other one I ever saw...)

3. Miyata Elevation 10000 (unbonded rear lug)

4. Tech Wild Thing (worn out messenger workbike frame failure)

5. Cannondale M600 (chainstay crack a.k.a. Crack 'n' Fail M600)

6. Balfa Bobonom (was blamed in a friendly manner by Balfa boys for the later failure of protoype bike headtube I rode at Ste Anne)

7. Battle Tomahawk Carbon (crushed toptube)

Still riding my alu-fronted replacement Battle 13 years later... Not too bad for 18 years of riding...

Forgot one... a BIK carbon (same as Aegis mtb) at the BB

Name change time Mate:
Crack It Moore.....Snap It Moore...........Moore Or less Broke Em All.

messiah":16u8onhj said:
I'll take it from the oldest to the newest - none of these were big crashes, more wear and tear issues!

1990ish Trek 8900 - Bonded Alluminium, black with splatter paint. Bent the rear mech hanger repeatedly and so badly that it snapped off - also damage to chainstays (2 years use). Put me off alloy bikes for a long time.
1992 Rocky Mountain Blizzard - the bottom bracket ovalised so badly that a bottom bracket wouldn't stay in (7 months).
1992 Rocky Mountain Blizzard - warranty replacement for above - brake boss was squint, and the bottom bracket shell ovalised again (3 months).
1993 Rocky Mountain Blizzard - warranty replacement for above - Brazed junction of the seat-tube to seat-stay cracked (1 year). Warranty repair and I sold it - lost confidence...
1994 Trek OCLV 9900 Pro Issue, Nude Carbon - Broke off one of the bonded on rear brake bosses (6 weeks)
1994 Trek OCLV 9900 Pro Issue, Nude Carbon - warranty replacement for above - Bottom bracket insert fell out (6 months). Trek gave me my money back - "Perhaps these are not the best bikes for you" - that wasn't what the rep thought when he sold me them. This was my only bike when I was competetively racing and saw a scary amount of use. I remember it as one of the best riding bikes ever - so stiff and solid at low speeds and yet compliant and zingy when really hammering :D
1995 Kona Explosif - Cracked at the driveside dropout (11 years) - I still have this frame in regular use after Charlie Ralph at Alves put track ends on it. So much better than the Rocky's :shock:
1997 Intense Uzzi SL - Seat-tower snapped off - (4 months) - Chainstays cracked (5 years), Seatstays cracked and dropout snapped (5 years) - Main frame still good and hanging on wall with all the broken bits replaced - I love this frame.

If you even plan to borrow my bike.... What do you think??? :)

Back