well the heads have started rolling

MAXTHEROTTI

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
as feared its happened
jobs are going thick and fast at work
mine will last untill mid april if im lucky :?
still worse things happen at sea and all that

rob :(

Sorry to hear that. :(

Hope things go well for you after April.

Al.

Welcome to the great unwashed! It's cack with not much around in the way of jobs. I'm trying to start a business and I'm writing a book! The key is to 'run a bank. That way if you f*&k it all up Gordon gives you lots of money to make it all better again!

I have no idea what it is you do, but I hope this advice helps and works in your sector.

1-Get your CV up on monster.com ASAP, I placed mine on at midnight of the day I was told my job was at risk. The following day from 7am, the phone was ringing hot with agents trying to get me a role. It is fair to say that 8/10 of these recruitment agents are crap and will have nothing really to offer, all they are keen on is getting you on the books incase a suitable role pops up. However you will find that some of them will be really helpful with advice and have a good idea of suitable roles.

2-Approach companies you have contact with through your current work, its speculative but if a firm is used to working with you on the other end of the phone then they may like you enough to offer you a role within there own company.

3- Look at doing short term contracts while you look for more secure work, (either self employed or through an umbrella company) I was made redundant in november, by the end of the month I was doing a 8 week contract with excellent pay and interviewing for new permament roles at the same time, by mid december I had a good offer of employment on the table, a second offer of employment from the people I was contracting for, and a second interview lined up for what is essentially my dream job. (I had that interview last week and am waiting to hear back from them)

4-Make sure you get everything you are owed from your current firm, paid holliday/correct redundancy pay (if any)

5- Do not worry too much, I am relatively young (27) and have been made redunant twice in my short working life, all I have found is it leads on to bigger and better things a little down the track.

Its a hard time, and a time any one can do without, however it can also act like it did for me...a kick up the arse to get me to move on and not get stcuk in the same job for too long.

Good luck!... keep positive!.... be proactive!

Cheers daj,

The interview went well, and I was 1 of 5 brought back for 2nd interview from 130+ However I was the youngest by a good 10 years and therefore least exerienced. And the pay grade is well above my current.

So I am not holding my breath, but I am very happy to have got so far.

Maxtherotti,
I can offer some tips for interviews that seem to work nicely too if you want, i'll save them for when you need them.

Save hard- then bogger off for 6 months.

Recession will be all over by then.

I can already see the green shoots...

Back