'96 Cinder Cone, Rebuilding my old bike!

murf

Old School Hero
Well as per my original post i managed to re-acquire a bike that i originally bought brand new in '96. It was my old XC race bike and was a very nimble machine. Especially compared to the trek y-bike that i bought after it! I bought it as a frame only and build it up myself at the bright old age of 16.
So, i stripped the frame of all its components and scrubbed all the dirt/stickers/tar and grease from it, plus the sticky residue left from teh frame protection tape i stuck on it all those years ago.
Its scrubbed up pretty good and its now hanging in my wardrobe where my wife wont find it ;)
Ive collected most of the bits ready to rebuild it and hope to get started in the next couple of weeks.
Spec so far is:

Pace RC36 forks
Magura HS22 Johnny T Rear brakes
Magura HS33 2 finger Front brakes
Mavic CrossMax rear wheel with ceramic rim
Hope Fatso front hub with FIR rim
XT cassette
XT rear mech
XT front mech
XT rapidfire
Middleburn chainset
USE seatpost (choice of red or blue!)
Flite Ti saddle
Kore stem
Answer Hyperlites
Onza grips
Onza bar ends
Race Face headset

Going to try my best to stick with period parts, only the RF headset is new, oh, and i'll need a bottom bracket as well.
Dunno how accurate the weight is as i did it on my kitchen scales, cant be that far off though.

Couple of pics:

IMG_7222.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

IMG_7219.jpg

murf":3v03wqe3 said:
Its scrubbed up pretty good and its now hanging in my wardrobe where my wife wont find it ;)

I would love to have such a big wardrobe so I can hide a few frames in it ;)

Thanks guys :D
Yeah, its not in bad nick. Thats mainly why i decided not to respray it. Its got a few chips on the downtube and a bit of chainsuck but on the whole its not bad :cool:

What size of bottom bracket should i be looking at using with my middleburn chainset? I think they are RS2's. Also will any 5 bolt middleburn chainrings fit, the current ones are 24/34/46. I take it that they aren't compact drive?

Ok, well i didn't take many build pics 'cos i was busy wrenching but its finished to a rideable standard :D
Its a bit of a mish mash of colours but as bits wear out they will be replaced with colour coded items :D
Not been on a proper ride yet but i'd forgotten just how powerfull magura's are. With the braces on they are brilliant, much better than V's :D

Cant wait to go for a proper ride on it, it feels really focussed It doesn't want to do wheelies or jump about, it just wants to go forwards, fast :D

IMG_7249.jpg

IMG_7250.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

Back