What shall I do with this then? Alpinestars Cro-Mega

n+1

Dirt Disciple
A half done project needing an injection of advice.

Usual front mech issues, any thoughts about BB mount?

Have got most of an 8 speed LX black groupset and an XT rear mech of suitable vintage, but what chainset? Will change back to black LX cantis but in need of suitable brake levers.

Original 1 1/4" headset still going ok so will keep that with the PINK! forks but should I respray or just try to touch up the paint chips? The original colourscheme is just so hideously fantastic.

Attachments

• Cro-mega.jpg
    Cro-mega.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,619
Great bike, I love the colours of the 91' alpinestars, they should have kept the colours going in the following years.

For me definitely keep the paint job and graphics, you'll never get them reproduced. Pending on what you use it for i'd go back to a triple chainset and front mech. Skinwall tyres might be the way forward also, but those blackwall don't look out of place.

The great thing with these lairish alpinestars is that you can hang a lot of bling off them, so don't scared of anodised parts.

Great bike please keep us updated. I'll try and dig out some pics of the 91' cro-mega's for you.

It's always nice when people agree with what you thought all along. Just seen a lot of these re-sprayed and modernised! (spits on floor)

Will keep updated but any pics or parts ideas gratefully received.

Great bike!

Finding an endless clip front mech for this will be easy but finding a longer bolt and mounting kit to fit it will be more tricky......I really must get mine back on the road!

Cheers
Stu

A few pics i've nicked off the web at various points. Might give you an idea of original spec etc.

Attachments

• f808_1.jpg
    f808_1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,597
  • alpinestars_1_968.jpg
    alpinestars_1_968.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,597
  • 07d0_1.jpg
    07d0_1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,597
  • 209b_1.jpg
    209b_1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,597
Hmmm. Pink forks or grey forks? But they're just soooo pink. But grey looks like what it should be. Oh if only life weren't so complicated.

I've still got the bolt and alloy crescent for the front mech but am not familiar witht he type of mech that is needed to fit. Any help?

They are mechs with removable bands. Built for 1 1/4" seat tubes on conventional bikes. You remove the band and the short band bolt and replace with the longer alpinestars bolt and ovalised grip nut. Here's a pic to demonstrate.

Attachments

• e1c4_1.jpg
    e1c4_1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,577
I think you should try and match the grey on the forks and get them sprayed. then bling it right up with some shiney annodized parts. always been a fan of the origional purple or blue myself but the colour is a personal thing. Awsome bike.

Back