95/96? kona cindercone

which brakes? disk with some welding or V ???

• disk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • V

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dc13

Kona Fan
Hi every 1 :D

re-found the retro bike website recently, and really love it, i havent been out on my bike for years but recently decided to get fit again and got the cindercone out, its slightly sorry for itself atm :(
but i plan on rebuilding her bit by bit. :D

i brought the frame&forks in 95/96 ish and transfered all my bits from my old bike to it, plus the retro mint sauce stickers! lol
then got a car and 18 and hardly used it after, :shock:

i've got some new wheels for her for now and will attack the brakes next!

anyway feel free to coment, ill upload the spec l8r heres some before pics for now

any one on here from northwales area get in touch! :)
thanks

DC

spec
Frame: konaCindercone

Fork: P2

Headset: Impact
Stem: Club Roost I beam
Handlebar: Club Roost Go fast
Grips: Knackered gripshift
Barends: n/a

Brakes: pro max?? v brakes
Brake Pads: ??
Brake Cables: ??
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: pro max

Shifters: gripshift srt 500 8spd
Front Derailleur: lx
Rear Derailleur: xt
Derailleur Cables: shimano
Cassette: 8spd shimano
Chain: ?
Cranks: deore lx
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: middleburn i think
Chainring bolts: std
Bottom Bracket: lx
Pedals: cheap nasty blue alu

Hub Skewers:
Rims: deore lx and acera x
Hubs: campag
Nipples: dt
Spokes: dt double butted
Tyres: conti's
Tubes: yes

Saddle: gt
Seatpost: zoom
Seatpost Binder: kona

Weight:eek:nce weighed it at 19.8 pounds at its peak but i doubt its anywhere near that now lol :?

Attachments

• kona cindercone-1.jpg
    kona cindercone-1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,021
  • kona cindercone-2.jpg
    kona cindercone-2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,021
  • kona cindercone-3.jpg
    kona cindercone-3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,020
  • kona cindercone-4.jpg
    kona cindercone-4.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,021
It's a 1995 frame, size 20 I think. I voted V.

I don't think Promax were much good, so I would give a good V set up a chance first - e.g., to go disc, you'd need new forks (plus new headset and stem), a welded-on rear disc mount, a respray, disc wheels and disc brakes. And it wouldn't do you all that much good without grippier tyres. That's going to cost you quite a lot.

Alternatively, giving Vs a chance means some Avids for choice, levers as well as brakes, new cables and new pads. If you could afford ceramic rims as well, you'd find that would give you quite a lot of stopping power, and still be a whole lot cheaper than discs.

I share your ponderings, I am currently thinking about discing up an old 1994 Roberts...I know its rude and not the retro way ....but.... I wanna!

i did have that thought also anthony, but like jerkey i just wanna! Lol
I've already got some disk ready wheels and my mate is a grade A Welder, he could do some minor strengthening to the frame and fork's while adding the brackets. So all i'd need really is disk's, calipers and levers? Was thinking to get 99% of it retro then the modern brakes just to be 'rude' :D
But you do have a good point to get some good v's 1st to try, i keep hearing avid's are good, but i much prefer the look of xt/xtr for some reason,

which avid's are good?
D

dc13":25acajm6 said:
So all i'd need really is disk's, calipers and levers?
I think it's worth pointing out that if you're planning to fit a disc tab to the P2s, Kona probably wouldn't advise that - they still make P2s, but they don't make the lighter triple-butted type like yours with disc tabs, they only fit tabs to the heavier plain-gauge type of P2.
dc13":25acajm6 said:
But you do have a good point to get some good v's 1st to try, i keep hearing avid's are good, but i much prefer the look of xt/xtr for some reason,
which avid's are good?
D
Well I personally find Avid have a more solid feel, but I believe the later XT Vs are a lot better than the original M739 Vs, that rattled because of play in the parallelogram system. But I haven't found any particular difference between say SD3 Avids and SD7, except SD7 look better. But then I fitted some Deore Vs to my pal's bike and they were very powerful indeed, despite being cheap. A lot of the time braking problems are caused by play in the lever mechanism or worn-out rims flexing, rather than any flex in the brake arms.

any one on here have any magura's or decent v brakes for sale?

also any sugestions for shifters? the grips on the gripshift are shot.....

Hi There, I have voted V brake but magura will also be a good option :cool: , Have a look at Andy.l's bike on here its a lovley clean example of a Kona with Magura's.

V brakes willl also need some modification if you want them to work properly, cce and others have converted the rear dog collar (canti guide) to enable a short outer cable to run to rear V brake. If you are having it re painted then Argos Cycles can add a cable stop for £8, have a look at the Pink kona on my thread and you will see one fitted, well worth it if fitting V's.

Cheers

Back