who knows what about muddyfox!

Re: fan site?

cam":19r4t3oq said:
I'd love it if there was some sort of fan site on Muddy Fox. Make it happen!

Here's mine from '88...

I still have the stem and bars from one of these

What you really need here is Steve Worland as he worked for Muddy Fox back in the '80s.

Two Wheels Good, the Leeds bike shop where I worked at that time, sold Muddy Fox. We sold a lot of lugged-frame Couriers like the one daj is restoring... and a lot of them came back bent after what the riders swore blind were really minor prangs.

We got so fed up of Muddy Fox's abysmal warranty policy (in short, it was to say 'no' unless the bike had spontaneously exploded in front of a lawyer or clergyman) that we stopped stocking them.

First, though, we cut open a bent Courier and found that it had folded at the lugs because the tubes were several millimetres apart inside the lug. They're supposed to touch. The lug mostly holds the tubes together for brazing; the joint's strength comes from the tubes being in contact and connected by brass glue.

MF switched to TIG-welded frames the following year but Saracen's Tuff Trax was a much nicer 300 quid bike so we sold those instead.

We weren't the only ones. MF's abysmal customer service (erratic deliveries and almost total refusal to honour warranties) meant dealers deserted them in droves in the late 80s.

MF 1.0 died very publicly at a bike show. Drew Lawson gathered his staff together as they were putting the booth together and told them the company was no more. The half-built, empty booth was like a little ghost town in the corner of the show.

kinell, John Stevenson!
Still have the magazine pics of your wedding etched into my head! I thougt at the time "thats class!"
I couldn't replicate that now as all my hair is falling out. .
Sorry thread hijack, we'll get back to the case in point. . .

I too have the presspack inspired memories of MF, and proudly raced a pathfinder when at that stage I had no idea who the likes of cannondale and fisher were, but I think like a lot of other, would like a rose tinted fox just for the wall. Or to ride in rain soaked trakkie bums that weighed as much as the bike did when wet. . ;)

elite504":t8dduu8b said:
Still have the magazine pics of your wedding etched into my head! I thougt at the time "thats class!"

Well there was only teh one pic, and the rickshaw was cooked up by Justin Loretz and Paul Lyons, so I don't get to claim any class points there.

I too have the presspack inspired memories of MF, and proudly raced a pathfinder when at that stage I had no idea who the likes of cannondale and fisher were, but I think like a lot of other, would like a rose tinted fox just for the wall. Or to ride in rain soaked trakkie bums that weighed as much as the bike did when wet. . ;)

I remember races in 1987 and 88 that were like club meetings for owners of Couriers, Pathfinders and red Specialized Rockhoppers. And Ron Hill Traksters as the winter legwear of choice. Innocent days :)

Welcome to the site John. As for Ron Hills they were too expensive! shorts whatever the weather. Ah the foolishness of youth.

vintage limited edition muddy fox mountain bike

I have an NOS limited edition muddy fox mountain bike, it has never been ridden, has all the original components and has gold plated chain set handlebar decal and carbon handle bars etc...

would anyone know how old this is, how many were made and what it could be worth now a days?

Latest posts

Back