off topic; mountaineering kit

super swin

Retro Guru
wanted quality kit for a trip to the alps everything required :roll: boots size8 3/4 season and plastics, ice axe, crampons, waterproofs jkt and trousers etc etc the list goes on and on.
sorry for using the forum but you just never know and i know you guys will take payment in cash/pp and parts :!:
ta jon

I would recommend that if you are going to the alps, a set of second hand boots would not be a good idea. A set of good fitting boots specific for your feet and well bedded in would be a good idea.

Climbing equipment is fickle and if you are going to the alps and doing some serious stuff I would recommend that you do some research and find the best kit that suits you for the conditions. Sometimes the right jacket may be ok in Scotland, but the alps is differant again. I dont use the mountaineering jackets I use in a scottish winter climb for doing routes in the alps. They perform in differant ways.

Just seen too many people set off in Chamonix with all the gear and no idea and seen a lot of ill prepared people die in the Lakes with the wrong sort of kit. (I live in Cumbria and was in mountain rescue for 5 years)

Sorry for the rant, just dont want you going to the alps with a £25 Regatta expecting it to keep you alive at the top of Mont Blanc. If you are doing serious stuff then make it the best you can afford and new so you know the history.

Plenty of shops to get the right stuff n the Alps .

as said above , get the right stuff .

thanks for the advice guys, do you have any recommendations, i was edgeing towards the millet k jkt and trousers with a set of la sportiva boots not cheap at £800 but as you say it has to work. i have a set of mantas at the moment for domestic routes but find them a bit narrow, also using a lot of paramo gear which is great in scotland but dont know how it will fair in the alps.
hence the reason i am advertising for kit, as second hand is a lot cheaper and i get the the chance to submit it to a scottish winter, what works well i will buy new and what does not will get passed on alps is not untill august.
all suggestions greatly received
ta
jon

My recommendations are:

Typical Alpine Single Day

Top Half
Merino base layers
Thin Fleece Top (Mtn Equipment (£15))
Wind Stopper Vest (Mtn Equipment Guide)
Gore Jacket (Berguas or Mtn Equipment one without lining)
Carry Additional Fleece Jacket (Mtn Equipment Polartec 200)

Bottom Half
Lowe Alpine under pants
Windstopper Salopettes (Mtn Equipment)
Carry Gore Salopettes for snow work or longer climbs

Boots

I use Soloman Mountain 9's with Bergus yeti gators superglued to them. Have also used Frenies etc with similar gator arrangements.

I have similar lists for multiday stuff etc in the alps and it has taken me a long time to get gear to work right for me and my body. I have a whole box full of boots which I have used to some degree and found that they work great in scotland but are rubbish in the alps. I would guess it has taken 5 years to find what works, and what works for me does not work for someone else. My mate uses Paramo stuff everwhere and it works for him. I just cook in it.

Hope this helps

Boots - buy new. Enough discounted deals around. Most of the big chains are advertising 50% off sales. Try Rock & Run and Stewart Cunninghams (both in Ambleside) for good deals on salomons.

Clothing go to the shops and try lots of jackets on and see what fits you. Then search t'interweb for best price. If you are going for a layering system stick with one brand as armholes in particular don't always align between brands. My personal favourite - Patagonia (cheap as chips from Dublin Patagonia Outlet Store). Have been issued with some Paramo (Mountain Rescue team kit), works really well but I run too hot for it except in really cold weather.

Best bet - have a weekend away in Ambleside - gear shops and cafes by day, pubbing it by night! Marvellous, what could be better?

BTW are you walking or technical climbing? If you are climbing then your choices become slightly diminished particularly with boots (if you are getting technical go for B3 boots and C3 crampons). You can pick up pairs of axes fairly cheaply on fleabay.

Paramo will work fine in the alps. make sure you use the complete system, rather than throwing a jacket on top of any old fleece.

I use a mountain shirt, taiga fleece and aspira jacket & aspira pants. I only wear all of the top half in the worst weather. It works fine. (I've slept out in -15 wearing that and it was just about comfortable, was feeling too lazy to get the bivi bag out!)

£800 seems very steep for a shell and a pair of boots. I would have thought you could have picked it up for about £5-600 tops

If Mountain Equipment fits you - they have a factory shop in Glossop which does have some bargains (also has alot of tat in it too)

I agree the paramo stuff needs to be used on its own, but I find it too hot for the alps in August / Sept in all but extreme weather conditions and bivying out.

I have not used any millet k gear, have stockpiled lots od Mtn Equipment stuff due to knowing the local rep and on trips to the factory shop.

Keswick and Amble' are full of sales at the moment especially on the winter gear. I too would suggest a weekend away with some readies and hunt around. I would avoid buying the first thing you find that suits, you can always go back later.

Go to a decent shop for boots and get your feet measured properly. I did at George Fisher and found that I needed a wider fitting on my new SL's having used the narrower ones for the last 6 years. You dont need to buy them there.

Back