The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would introduce myself here. I'm mainly into this for all the purple anodized parts.

And thats about it I think... :eek:

hi.....

hello.
some of you know me, some don't. so it's probably easier if i just list my bikes.
1st - peugeot something in blimey '87/'88 maybe.
then marin palasades, totally tricked out with at4's xt, ss-5's 986's shark fin etc....then it all got hazey, but the love of my life got stolen,
a '90 rocky mountain nibus, handcrafted alu with xt and at the time Mag 21 SL's - sniff....
currently i have (breath)
tinbred
1Fg
releigh shopper covered in tiger fur
trek crosser - commuter bike..discs 8 speed on a 52!
chipper
91' marin bolanis ridge - fluro
?? cinelli - fluro again - might be made by gary fisher, dunno
96 a'ha stars and bars cruiser - frame
95 humuhumunukunuku a'pua - my first single speed :)
95 speccy stumpjumper team fsr - frame n forks
95 dean bam bam frame, stem judy sl's
unique orange cruiser - think retrotec - frame
96 ritchey softail - pink - nearly finished singlespeed
95/96 bonty or -in orange - fully rebuilt, xt, lx and titec ti, with judy sl's
95 mani ht full blue, xtr and hopes (just needs a rear mech)
oh and a gt karakokorum early nineties red n yellow..frame

think thats it.

hello

Hi. Nice looking site, full of proper bikes. I'll give you a quick list of my biking history, which might give you idea about me.

Trek 830 1992ish
Trek 930 1994
SBC Stumpjumper M2 1996
Cannondale Raven 4000 1998
Cannondale F2000 2000
Cannondale 2.8 road
Cannondale CAAD4 with chorus
Ritchey P20 1999, i still own this bike and i'll NEVER part with it. :D
Klein Adept Pro 2002
Klein Palomino 2004 - still got
Colnago C40 with dura ace - still got
SBC Stumpjumper (steel) 1995 converted to ss - still got(winter hack)

The one bike i wish i'd bought is a Ritchey softtail. :cry:

Anyway, i'll leave it at that for now and sort out some photo's at some point.

Erm? Hello. Kiwi John here in Tassie. Where do I start?
1990: Avante Montari. Bought on a whim off work with shingles. No probs not even a flat tyre.
93: Peugeot Altitude. Brazed 531, DX, last guy racing the local downhills on a rigid until...
96: Avante Hammer V. chromo frame new XT & LX with SL Judy's. Evolved into..
98: Salsa Ala Carte; Pre Reynolds 853, pre sell-out. Beautiful bike. Semi-retired with a flogged out head tube & rigid forx but still flies when taken off road. A keeper.
02: Cannondale Scalpel. Very nice. Broke through the chainstay in 03. Replaced but had lost interest, so...
03: DMR Switchback. Bent it in 6 weeks. Replaced at cost & built properly. Avids, vanillas, DT wheels. Great on the technical singletrack. Still going.
05: 95 DBR Axis Ti. Swapped for unused Scalpel. Rebuilt it with 8spd XT & brand new 96 SL Judy's plus purple bits. Finally got a Ti bike & love it.
03? GT Moto SS Cruiser, pub bike.
The story so far. KJ

My mtb History

Hi guys
Been reading for a while now and just taken delivery of a BREEZER Lightning Pro with full xc pro groupo bought from Gil_m thanks again Gil!

So now I have a retro steed thought it would be nice to post a thread:

Started riding 1988 on a no name 21" mtb that my dad still rides - that got the fluoro pink treatment....

Went onto a SARACEN with deore groupo - got photo somewhere but the name escapes me..........this got white Porcupines at somepoint!

DAVE YATES Diablo next with Project 2's and a mix of deore and xt with ss5 levers and a use seatpin!

TREK OCLV next in purple with a steel rigid fork - however that snapped fairly shortly and was replaced with their 8500 ally model - nice bike til it got stolen from Uni in Newton Abbot in 1996 - scroats! This had xc 700's and xt v's.

Insurance money got me a steel UNIVEGA from a mates shop that I built up with various parts including judy dh forks! Loved this bike:eek:) Oh and a Univega DH bike:eek:)1998

This was followed by a CLUBROOST jump bike - hardly rode this - part exchanged for a SINTESI alloy race bike with zokes and formula discs - modern stuff:eek:) 2000

Worked in a shop for while and sold the SINTESI and bought a KONA Explosif 1998 model nos - columbus max or - nice bike this one!

Eventually got bored and had a go at DH with a MARIN B17 and Boxxers - this bike rode over everything - fantastic!

Went back to xc roots and bought a SANTACRUZ superlight - best allday fast bike ever!

PACE rc 300 followed this as a lightweight racer SNAPPED. and got a MERLINMountain! Nice hardtail but too nice for me - so in the mean time got hold of a retro MARIN steel frameset (forgot which NOS though) SS'd it and then I rode it into a tree SNAP.

Gave up on light bikes after this and sold the MERLIN and have currently got a COYOTE Dual in all mountain mode for everyday use and the BREEZER! Oh and a road bike with old 7spd downtube DURAACE!
Thats ME :LOL:

Aye-up everybody.
A thread on retro suspension bikes on STW has got me reminiscing so I decided to join!
Started MTB'ing about 1990, first proper MTB was a Marin Palisades, then a raleigh dyna-tech with bonded in aluminum main tubes, then a Scott super-evolution e-stay bike which I tried to pimp out on my limited budget. Got my first set of sus forks for it, a set of Rock Shox Quadras. I eventually stripped the drab grey paint and polished them, the magnesium lowers came up very spangly! A couple of bikes later I blew my student loan on a second hand Orange Vitamin T which I loved and rode until it cracked around the BB. Another few frames later I bought my first suspension bike, a second hand foes weasel which I also eventually snapped :-(. Now riding a Turner RFX, an On-one prototype, and happy to say the Vit T has been repaired and built back up with mostly retro parts and gets ridden a lot.

Back in the nineties we used to go to the Karrimor DH races. My mate Dave raced on a mongoose amplifier complete with Amp forks and Onza clipless pedals. The Amps were a popular bike which is amazing as it would be considered a very light xc bike by todays standards.
He then bought and raced DH on a fat chance shockabilly BTW :)

I miss the days when there was a new fork or frame design every month, so much innovation, but I guess it had to come down to the simplest designs are the best in the end.

he still has it AFAIK, but I think he's keeping it for the memories. Got some nice bits on it too I think, black ringle superbubba hubset etc. It was a really nice bike, had the turner style rear end which seemed really sturdy as it was all steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back