Disc brake enquieries(modern content)

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've recently picked up a set of lovely forks which i'm going to base a build around(? i know). Anyway they have a modern 74mm post/disc mount. So are front and rear calipers generally the same just different length hoses? Who makes lovely light ones? Any to avoid?
All info gratefully recieved.
Ta.

Front & rear calipers can be the same, but the mounts will differ as will the hose length.

Rear mounts are usually IS mount

generally 180mm front rotor & 160mm rear rotor gives all the braking power 90% of riders will ever need

Have a look at Formula Oro & Hope mono mini

Avoid Hayes Sole

I'm running the latest XTR on 2 bikes both with 160's front and rear and for me they're fine,although if I was going to the Alps I'd stick a 180 on the front.
I had Avid juicy 7's on my last fs bike and suffered alot of brake pump with them,other than that they were good.

Hmmmm....

So are the newer post mounted ones significantly better/stiffer than the older IS mount ones? There are lots of older Hope ones on ebay relatively cheaply but if the newer ones are substancially better i'll invest in some.

Re: Hmmmm....

Grannygrinder":2rih9dr0 said:
So are the newer post mounted ones significantly better/stiffer than the older IS mount ones? There are lots of older Hope ones on ebay relatively cheaply but if the newer ones are substancially better i'll invest in some.
Not really it's just another type of mount (my '03 Manitou's have Post Mount).

With Post Mount if you round the threads in the fork, you might end up with a buggered fork (unless it has threaded inserts, or can be helicoiled).

Back