Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ameybrook's Kona Lava Dome

• Ransetsu's Salsa a la Carte

• felixdelrio's 1991 Boulder Gazelle

• Total voters
cool will do, the Rockhopper won't be ready so i'll save that for march...

maybe that could be my New Years resolution as i've ben looking for one, enter a different bike in BOTM for the whole year ... only I missed the boat on January... b*gger.. guess i'll have to give up the smack after all..

John":2f6h44so said:
Russell":2f6h44so said:
And the guys are voting for a Lava Dome???

Philistines.

Think your being a tad harsh Russ. Ameybrook has spent a lot of time and effort restoring a bike which really meant something too him. That to me encapsulates one of the big reasons I setup the site. As such ABs bike is a worthy entrant....

You've seen my bikes John, not one of them is boutique, they are all average production models that mean something to me personally, not one of them holds any particular rarity value or interest. I'm hardly a bike snob.

I think I'm being unfairly lambasted here though. I'm not being harsh, this is a discussion board and I'm airing my views. I voted for the Merlin because I appreciate its rarity and the work that went into it. I'm lucky enough to have visited the Merlin factory in the States and have seen the work that goes into each and every frame that they produce... its awe inspiring and for me, it would be very hard for any manufacturer to beat a Merlin in a BOTM competition.

I've said on other threads (and this one) that I think the Lava Dome is a cool bike, the paintwork is stunning and Ameybrook has put a lot of work into it, I'd be very happy if it was sat in my garage. The shots in the snow are beautiful aswell, definately pics for the December page of the calendar one day. However is a good paintjob and backstory enough to beat possibly the only Merlin of its kind in the UK? Not for me, Not to mention the probably rarer Boulder.

Come on, we've all got different reasons for voting for whatever we vote for, lets air them and debate them, not pussyfoot around slapping each others backs :) If we all liked the same thing, life would be very boring (and competitive on e-bay!) indeed.

Ha!

Love it. Im 30 and spend an awful lot of time wittering about old mountain bikes. Scares me how much passion as a group we put into this. We are all sad. :D

Love this forum.

jez-2-many-bikes":vbvnc00u said:
Ha!

Love it. Im 30 and spend an awful lot of time wittering about old mountain bikes. Scares me how much passion as a group we put into this. We are all sad. :D

Love this forum.

Yep. By far the saddest sport (is it still a sport?) in the world. We are all geeks on the highest possible level.

Great though, isnt it. :LOL:

Yo Crashy":2g1bh3gj said:
Yep. By far the saddest sport (is it still a sport?) in the world. We are all geeks on the highest possible level.

Great though, isnt it. :LOL:

I feel geeky sat here at a computer discussing old bikes, but then when I'm out bouncing the same old bikes around my local trails in the pouring rain, I feel a bit more hardcore :) Its all about balance (in more ways than one).

I must admit that watching the Tour this summer on the ship the fact that I have raced road bikes (okay it was a few times at the local road club meet) gave me a nice feeling, how many footie fans regularly play, even 5 a side?
I ride at least 3 times a week when I am home. Sad to some it may be to dress up in lycra and coo over 15 year old aluminium bits with other 30 somethings.

I ask you how sad is it to squeeze your beer belly into a polyester fire hezard of a shirt, with some random domestic goods manufacturer's name on it (and a guy's name on the back, the only thing in common you have with this person is that you breathe a oxygen nitrogen mix), and get loud and emotional for 90 mins twice a week.

It's all down to passion, I love my retro bikes and cycling in general, besides my bikes will never let me down like Charlton do :LOL:

Russell":3b9bpgm7 said:
John":3b9bpgm7 said:
Russell":3b9bpgm7 said:
And the guys are voting for a Lava Dome???

Philistines.

Think your being a tad harsh Russ. Ameybrook has spent a lot of time and effort restoring a bike which really meant something too him. That to me encapsulates one of the big reasons I setup the site. As such ABs bike is a worthy entrant....

You've seen my bikes John, not one of them is boutique, they are all average production models that mean something to me personally, not one of them holds any particular rarity value or interest. I'm hardly a bike snob.

I think I'm being unfairly lambasted here though. I'm not being harsh, this is a discussion board and I'm airing my views. I voted for the Merlin because I appreciate its rarity and the work that went into it. I'm lucky enough to have visited the Merlin factory in the States and have seen the work that goes into each and every frame that they produce... its awe inspiring and for me, it would be very hard for any manufacturer to beat a Merlin in a BOTM competition.

I've said on other threads (and this one) that I think the Lava Dome is a cool bike, the paintwork is stunning and Ameybrook has put a lot of work into it, I'd be very happy if it was sat in my garage. The shots in the snow are beautiful aswell, definately pics for the December page of the calendar one day. However is a good paintjob and backstory enough to beat possibly the only Merlin of its kind in the UK? Not for me, Not to mention the probably rarer Boulder.

Come on, we've all got different reasons for voting for whatever we vote for, lets air them and debate them, not pussyfoot around slapping each others backs :) If we all liked the same thing, life would be very boring (and competitive on e-bay!) indeed.

Maybe your replies came over (to me at least) somewhat more dismissively than you had intended.

As you state yourself peoples reasons for voting for a BOTM are many. It is not simply a most expensive bike contest. You voted for the Merlin because you're a fan of their work. I voted for Melvin Koga because it's such a fine example of a road bike of a particular vintage. Maybe Jez voted for the Kona because he appreciated the work that went into it.

I appreciate the Kona 'cos it looks positvely thermonuclear in that snow scene that was taken. ;)

Also as John says it has had a lot of work put in and it instantly makes it far more special due to the custom paint etc.I remembr the pics of it in its original guise and it did look very very tatty.

Its all horses for courses anyway. Stop arguing and get working on your project bikes people for February!

:D

Back