Old skool axle sizing

Reluctant

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all. Had an old BMX brought in for some work today. It's resprayed, but we think it might be a GT Dyno. Anyway....the back wheel axle measures 12.5 mm approx with the vernier, which is not smething i've come across before. I'm used to 10mm or 14mm axles! So what is this mystery old size, and where can i find some wheel nuts for it? Any help much appreciated. Cheers, G.

Hi mate - GT Dyno should be 10mm if old school and the start or the 90's -2000 started using 14mm (just like the new school rideswith 14mm )
I take it that there spoked an not mags as skyway mags had a strang size nut !

i have loads of NOS hubs that you may be able to change over all with brand new bearings - nuts and spacers -

can you pm me with a couple of pic's and i will see if i can help ;)

cheers B ;)

Hey , thanks for the reply, Bendycat. Sorted it a while back - turned out it was a Mongoose (resprayed, so hard to tell at first) and the size is 12mm. I sourced some nuts from Hotwheels warranty department, who were very helpful. Cheers for your help there. G.

I've got a similar problem, with a Diamond back Formula 1 fork. It's supposedly a 10mm axle, but the bike when new and complete came with araya 1.5 wheels (unusual as the usual size was 1.175).

The axles came with "flat spots" as a safety feature so that the axle needed to"slot in" to fit, and that now I have non original wheels, I somply cant get the axle into the drop out.

SOlution, a weekend going out to find a file, and then setting about butchering the axle to make it fit!

Back