Cougar- Joey McLoughlin

sax_widby

Dirt Disciple
Hi, i have a Cougar frame with Joey McLoughlin's name on it. I've read that he was a rather brilliant cyclist in his day.

Anyway, i'd like to know a little bit about the frame. Who built it? What steel is it made from, how old do you think it is? How much is it worth? I haven't found very much on the net to help :(

I'll attach a picture tomorow. It's full of high level campag retro gear aswell :D

cheers
rich

Cougars were built by Terry Dolan, later the name was sold and a few builders made Cougar frames. Now the brand has disappeared. Dolan continues to make frames - not many, mainly for pros. His brand Dolan are made elsewhere. Most famous for his trackbikes.

Most famous Cougar rider was Chris Boardman who always rode a Cougar - rebadged when he rode on the continent (Gan etc). Cougars have one of the best heritages of all British marques, surprised there isn't more about them on here.

Dolans have been ridden by Dave Millar, Chris Hoy, Brad Wiggins, Mark Cavendish - pretty much anyone who is anyone on the track rides a Dolan (British team ride Sport UK bikes when they are out winning everything - believe Terry has had a big hand in those too, along with Chris Boardman and some chap in Greece)

There are a few knocking around - couple of threads on here if you search.

Value - surprisingly not a great deal, despite costing the earth new. With a name attached might be worth a bit more.

Steel - sorry can't help you mine is Reynolds Alu 7005

Radar

ps welcome to the Cougar club

This is weird! This afternoon I've been watching an old video of the last stage of the 1988 Kellogs Tour of Britain around Westminster. The overall event being won by Joey McCloughlin who featured quite heavily in the broadcast and interviewed by Richard Keys (whatever happened to him?) at the end. He was riding for ANC at the time and they had Peugeot team bikes so the Cougar will probably date to his amateur days. I think these were '87 and before as I think he turned pro' for the '88 season - however I could be wrong!

Joey was a good rider, he had some memorable wins and after ANC folded I think he signed for Z-Peugeot on the continent but, like so many British pro's who try their hand over there, it didn't work out for him for some reason so he came back. He was 24 when he won the Kellogs so he'll be around 45 now but I haven't heard what he's up to these days or if he still has any connection with cycling.

Anybody know?

I'm also watching a video of the '94 World Cyclo-cross champs and Roger Hammond is riding a Cougar. Mike Kluge is, of course, riding a Focus (with Maguras).

I'll happily stand corrected, but I thought that JMc simply lended his name to the cougar brand, as he was the most prolific rider of the late 80's and its good for the image etc. It was a similar set up to Malc Elliott having frames built by M&B cycles with his name on a few years previous.

He was Liverpool based for most of his career which would suggest that the link to Terry Dolan is more than a branding exercise. He might well have ridden rebadged Cougars, Boardman certainly did. (A fair chunk of the pro continental peleton did, some still do)

i was wondering if there are companies who can respray (pref powder) the frame and recreate the original decor. It is pretty distinctive and i wouldnt want to lose that.

does anybody know of any companies who would do this, preferably those around sheffield?

Back