1991 Saracen Tufftrax Competition

Xesh":1jcg4aot said:
Nice! Now all you have to do is to fit the front straddle wire correctly. :p :LOL:

Front straddle IS fitted correctly- look closer and you will see that the noddle (my word- never known. what real term is) is marked F on the upper and R on the lower. F is for front and is in use sir. ;)
That said, looks like that front pad wants a little bit of re-alignment.

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

Hi Si,

Great build. :) I noted with interest that you said your original was the standard tufftrax in blue. I had the same bike purchased off my brother for the princely sum of £200 in 1990. I think he must of been drunk, because as i recall they were about £450?

Anyway, do you have any pics of your original blue bike? I'd love the nostalgia of seeing my old steed. :)

BarneyRubble":q4y2p4y4 said:
Hi Si,

Great build. :) I noted with interest that you said your original was the standard tufftrax in blue. I had the same bike purchased off my brother for the princely sum of £200 in 1990. I think he must of been drunk, because as i recall they were about £450?

Anyway, do you have any pics of your original blue bike? I'd love the nostalgia of seeing my old steed. :)

I have one picture of me and bike half way up Urra Moor in Yorkshire but I have to photoshop out the Axo boots and a rather bad Mullet before publication :oops:

Si

Hi Si,

What a really great looking retro!

It's great that you have been able to re create the bike you had BITD.

You can't beat a bit of nostalgia.

Looks virtually NOS

Love the yellow cables too :cool:

Chaser.

BarneyRubble":1wjgnbsw said:
:LOL: :LOL: I'd leave them in to show what era the pics are from, besides, mullets have been back for a couple of years. ;)

not like this one- it's full on Glen Hoddle stylee. Not good!

Si

My friend had a blue tufftrax b.i.t.d. here is a pic of him around 91,92 in full show mode

and 1 from last sept in gateshead when i was helping out on the tour of britain cycle race

The bike in bottom pic is probably the one that has been spotted outside of the big Tesco in town- said to be quite tidy. Same bloody size as the one I had too.

Thanks for posting the pics mate.

Si

1989 Saracen Tufftrax

I've got one of those! Still a prized possession and in frontline action as it nears its 20th birthday. Many original parts, although inevitable wear and tear means a lot of stuff has been replaced- the chainset just this month as 38t Biopace rings are not findable these days.

[A tip for anyone replacing the chainset with the half decent Alivio option- get a 113mm bottom bracket or you'll be cycling bandy-legged]

It really needs a shotblast and respray (rust under the top tube from sweat accumulation when turbo training...) so my question is did you get new decals for your refurb, and if so, where from?

I'll add some pictures in a future post.

Cheers
Steven

Back