(Old?) Hope Road Hub Help?

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
So, continuing my complete lack of knowledge of anything to do with road components, I have a Mavic rim laced to a skinny Hope hub. The hub has a hollow axle that moves within the hub and the outer seals/cones slide over the axle and all seems to be held in place by being bolted to the fork dropouts. Are all road front wheels like this? :LOL:

Could anyone tell me what model it is so I can find out how to service the damn thing?

Ooh, and i've got a System EX flip-flop rear hub which, from what i've read, is awful. What's so bad about them?

If it's very skinny it could be the Hope Ultralight. AfaIk all Hope hubs are held together in the same way. Hope don't usually make their road hubs any differently to their ATB ones.

What has been said about the System EX hub? I've sold shed loads of them and no one has complained about them to my knowlage?
I'm just building one for my t'other halfs dad for his fixie.

Xesh":3mes3qmh said:
If it's very skinny it could be the Hope Ultralight. AfaIk all Hope hubs are held together in the same way. Hope don't usually make their road hubs any differently to their ATB ones.

Well this is one is :?

Post a picture..please! If it's what I think then you have two tiny grub screws which hold on the outer pacers which have a dropout flange, then the bearings.

The axle is stepped with a thicker middle inboard of the bearings.

Most road hubs have similar construction to Shimano, although with detail differences on how to adjust bearings etc. The Hopes use sealed industrial bearings.

hamster":qivef9gm said:
Post a picture..please! If it's what I think then you have two tiny grub screws which hold on the outer pacers which have a dropout flange, then the bearings.

Don't recall seeing any grub screws or threads for them. I think it is a Hope Ultralight as it look just like this:

product_29929.jpg

I'm gonna give the bike a thorough strip, clean and re-grease over the weekend so i'll grab a couple of pics :)

legrandefromage":31z7luh8 said:
does it look like this one?

Bingo! :) Is that an ultralight or something different?

Are you able to move the axle from side to side in that one too?

So at least it appears correct that the ends just slide off! :LOL:

When mine is all bolted up there is no play and it spins forever, but the design is slightly disconcerting.

legrandefromage":2gr5dter said:
I can confirm going by the dents in the top of my PC storage drawers, the axle does not move.

Hmmm, me thinks i'll be investigating this wheel a bit further before i ride it! :LOL:

Back