Is anyone a Sky engineer or AV expert?

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
Right, so i've got Sky+ but only a single feed. Through some trickery I am able to use most functionality except watch live and record simaltaneously (no big hassle as I can always flip my LCD to freeview).

BUT, i've read about this badger:

http://www.pvrjunction.co.uk/sky-to-dep ... ble-homes/

So I assume this is something that would need to be installed on the shared dish that lives atop my block of apartments, question is if all us residents got together and managed to persuade the management to install it, what would need to be done at the socket end in each flat? :?

hamster":31o7ygqh said:
As far as I understand nothing - but you each need CSS-compatible set top boxes.

Ah, so actually there is a differant sort of box that only requires a single feed?

The issue is the shared LNB on the dish I think. So there is an intermediate stage on the base of the dish that then remodulates stuff for the boxes.

hamster":2p15qodr said:
The issue is the shared LNB on the dish I think. So there is an intermediate stage on the base of the dish that then remodulates stuff for the boxes.

Yeah, but you said I'd need a different set top box. How is it different?

Alas I can't change the dish. I live in a city centre apartment and can only use the feed from the communal dish the is situated on the roof. I can't install my own dish otherwise I'd have had this done when the engineer installedthe box :(

Tallpaul":32lb9smk said:
hamster":32lb9smk said:

It's a CSS STB, specifically designed for shared antenna systems. The whole problem is that the LNB on the tip of the dish is told what to do by the box, it's not just a passive thing like a TV antenna on the roof. So you have to have a statem that can cope with (say) 20 boxes all asking for different things.

To cut a long story short you need a specific MDU (multiple dwelling unit) setup installed.

hamster":celpuqy9 said:
Tallpaul":celpuqy9 said:
hamster":celpuqy9 said:

To cut a long story short you need a specific MDU (multiple dwelling unit) setup installed.

When you say setup, what do you mean?

My questions is still whether my current Sky+ box that requires two feeds would work if the device in the link was installed? :?

You first said it must be CSS compatible, then you say it must be a specific MDU setup. Forgive my confusion but I just want to know if the box i have will work if the building management installed the device. What I also need to know is if that device is just installed at the dish and means that the existing drop leads and single sockets in each apartment are sufficient. If all this is yes, how does the single feed from the socket on my wall connect to the box?

If we are all going to have to buy new Sky+ boxes then there is no point persuing this.

Back