I love CNC'd UK bike parts. 2009 Hope Mini X2 Pro

I did consider Moots. There were several aspects I was looking for in a titanium frame.

-Breezer Dropouts
-Top Tube Cable Routing
-shaped downtube
-light
-and if possible built out of Reynolds butted 6/4 Ti

the last point was almost impossible to obtain. Possible but my wallet was not thick enough to support it.

I studied and contacted various Ti manufacturers
-Moots (expensive)
-Kent Eriksen (I would've gone with Kent if I did not go with Lynksey)
-Seven (long wait time, and wasn't exactly what I was looking for)
-Titus (price was good, they answered all my questions)
-Lynskey (they were having a sale, so with the pricing I couldn't resist, plus Litespeed had developed a lot of the processes and techniques to shaping Titanium tubes)
-True North Cycles (Local frame builder in Ontario, Canada, he was quite expensive)
-Voodoo Djab
-Independent Fabrications Titanium Crown Jewel

Lynskey won in the end because it fit my requirements the most, I paid a 300 dollar upcharge to get cable routed to the underside of the downtube, length the top tube slightly and upgrade it to level 2 tubeset. 1995 USD is what I paid for the frame. A 2009 Voodoo Jab was selling for 1695 USD, and I personally think Lynskey knows a lot more in Ti frame design and manufacturing than what Joe Murray does, especially because Joe gets a factory in Taiwan to weld it up for him.

Very nice build so far mate,i expect there will be slight flex through around the b/b area,hope its not too much.

Your figures for the f&r brake set-up are slightly out though :p

If I had some serious deep deep pockets I would have put more thought into either Kent Eriksen or Independent Fabrications. The fact that Lysnkey was over 1000 USD cheaper than either I had a hard time justifying what I would be getting on top of what Lynskey had to offer. This bike is geared more towards XC racing, so I wanted it as light as possible. The end job of this bike is to go compete in Ontario Cup here in Ontario, Canada.

So here is my idiot post for today.

IMG_0059.jpg

That is a Dura-Ace FD7800 w/ 34.9mm clamp and a top pull adapter. It doesn't fit. The water bottle cage is right in the way of lowering the derailleur enough for it to shift properly. I'm a moron.

Anyone got a 34.9mm clamp XTR M952 Top swing, Top Pull, NOS front derailleur that they want to sell?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realises things like that after I've put them on the bike!

I think that's a great price on the Lynskey and from the photos it looks a real beaut.

I bought a Moots Zirkel a couple of years back and went through a similar process, but steered clear of the custom builders as I'm just too far away (in the UK then).

I don't know much about Kent Eriksen .... and I'm scared to look!

Kestonian":2lsq18zc said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who realises things like that after I've put them on the bike!

I think that's a great price on the Lynskey and from the photos it looks a real beaut.

I bought a Moots Zirkel a couple of years back and went through a similar process, but steered clear of the custom builders as I'm just too far away (in the UK then).

I don't know much about Kent Eriksen .... and I'm scared to look!

Kent Eriken, founder of Moots. Got ousted by his own company not too long ago. Decided to setup his own shop again and go small volume. What Moots used to be before it became the predominant mainstream Ti manufacturer outside of the Litespeed/Merlin crowd.

http://www.kenteriksen.com/

super bling!

and I think I can file the clamp down a bit to make it fit. Then just use some aluminum washers between the top water bottle boss and the bottle cage to get it parallel with the seattube again.

:D

I see many moots are the local races. I see more Moots then Seven, Litespeed, merlin, dean, than any other Ti manufacturer. Nothing wrong with moots. I considered them too.

Shocking.

I don't think I've ever seen someone on the same make of bike as me out on the trails.

Which makes me think, I'll have to choose what to ride very carefully if I ever make it along to a retro meet .... quite a few examples of my retro bikes on this forum

Cheers!":xulnv2pc said:
Anyone got a 34.9mm clamp XTR M952 Top swing, Top Pull, NOS front derailleur that they want to sell?

I may have one of these at work. I'll have a look for you tomorrow (Fri).

Back