Doogies latest addition to the family ! Merlin content.

doogie

Retro Guru
Hello folks,
Here is my latest build, I got the frame,forks and headset off evilbay and decided to build using a fair quantity of xtr as I have not been fortunate to use Shimanos top of the range kit before. :oops:
The Chris King / Mavic wheels and Hope m4s were swapped from Caramba Kid on this forum. :cool:
The forks are Rock Shox Sid World Cups.
It is a nice light bike and rides great. :)
I am very happy with it. :D

Attachments

• DSCF1823.JPG
    DSCF1823.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,636
  • DSCF1820.JPG
    DSCF1820.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,636
  • DSCF1821.JPG
    DSCF1821.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,636
  • DSCF1817.JPG
    DSCF1817.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,636
Apparently, the frame is actually a Merlin Oreas, the seller said that Merlin could not supply him with a set of replacement Oreas decals and the Works XLM ones were the only ones they could supply.
I agree they are a bit in your face and could have been toned down a little.

As for the year, I am not sure. Any ideas? :?

The Merlin Eagle logo is engraved on both sides of the bb and the Merlin logo on the headtube is fastened on with 2 button head screws if this helps at all. ;)

Merlin

You bought it then? :twisted: :D :D :D Its a bit different to my Works, 3/2.5 tubing not 6/4 ,does it have the engraving on the frame? Welders signature etc? You can get some nice Merlin stickers of evil bay at present. How do you like the ride? Comfy ain't they?

Hello Phil,
Yes after lusting after yours and then relising that it would probably be toooooooo small. So this one turned up on ebay, the frame had been polished, I was told it was a Merlin Oreas frame and the seller could not get replacement Oreas decals through Merlin and so had to opt with the XLM Works decals. The design of both frames is very similar, apparently not all the XLM Works were not 6/4 depending on what year they were made. I think the production costs of the 6/4 materials went sky high and that is why Merlin reverted to 3/2.5 :roll:
As for the ride - it is ace, nice and lightweight, the frame is gorgeous and I love it.

doogie":3vgcntrc said:
Hello Phil,
The design of both frames is very similar, apparently not all the XLM Works were not 6/4 depending on what year they were made. I think the production costs of the 6/4 materials went sky high and that is why Merlin reverted to 3/2.5 :roll:
As for the ride - it is ace, nice and lightweight, the frame is gorgeous and I love it.

The 6/4' is now reserved for the custom order frames and use Merlins own tubing, made from their own cast billet and externally butted, that they use on the NASA contract equipment like the Mars lander, its 3 times stronger than 3/2.5 and similar (3x) torsionally stiffer, but still has the magic springy ride. Mineis a 2007/8 model.

Back