Headset press...

murf

Old School Hero
I was bored at work so i made this, tried it out when i got home and it works perfectly! Much better than the previous wooden block/hammer approach :D

IMG_7241.jpg

IMG_7244.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

IMG_7242.jpg

Consists of:
Bit of 10mm threaded rod
3x10mm nuts
2x big round 10mm washers
2x smaller washers

Good times :D

Funnily enough I've been thinking about this the last week or so and to press in a race face headset

Murftool sounds good :LOL: , nah its cool for the lend, have plenty of stuff lying about but just never got round to it. Its never simple for me ya see start thinking about nylon inserts and brass washers, fine threads etc, rather than a bit of screwed rod :LOL:

I used a similar setup of 10mm threaded bar with some gert big washed for years worked perfectly

Recently purchased myself a proper headset press and it is an improvement, but only in so much as it's quicker to use and the built in handles are longer and more comfy that the spanner I used to use. Worth the money?? probably not given how often I use it, but there's something about using DIY tools on nice retrobikes that doesn't quite feel right.

the Murftool looks a damn sight better than my efforts though :D

yeah, Ive made one like this too and it works. Looking at yours tho, I'm not sure about the metal washers being in direct contact with the headset cups. Might it not spoil the finish on the cups, and worse might there not be the possibility of the edges of the cups slightly deforming with pressure.
Mine have big blocks of wood between washers and cups, but if it all works ok, then who am I to suggest different.

It didnt really take that much pressure to press them in, the headtube was well greased and i gave it a good clean before hand.
If it wasnt going in easily i was going to cut up an old innertube to place between the cups and the washer. As it was though, there wasnt a scratch on the cups and theres deffo no deformation. The washers are big enough to contact the outside of the cups but not touch the bearing race.
The ratchet spanner also made it a very quick and easy job, i used to be scared of replacing headsets to the point where they would all be rough as hell before i replaced them, not any more :D

Yep to both. A smear of grease to stop the cups seizing in place and make them go in easier. Both cups at once cos i dont know any better :LOL:
Is this wrong? Its in perfectly straight and doesnt move, ive always done it this way. Educate me if i've made a F*%^ up :oops:

Latest posts

Back