Vitus frames

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Anything on vitus tubed frames? dangerous? does dural mean anything. please help a clueless noob :D

always heard that the first generation was dangerous .

but the later ones like the 992 are great rides .

I have a futural single speed in Dural (which cannot be welded hence the glue and lugs). A friend bought it at the tip shop for 5 pacific pesos (New Zealand dollars), and had it sitting around for several years.

I was shite scared it was going to come unglued but that was four months ago. I push it like hell when I head into the wind, it is a 54 and I am only 76kg at the moment though. it is a compliant ride especially for aluminium and I've read that the big ones flex a bit.

Personally I say go for it! Love mine though the bare alloy needs the greasy finger prints cleaned off at the moment.

i used to knock around with a first cat - a big muscular guy built like a bear and raw muscle who acquired one second hand and used it as a winter bike year after year with no probs. If he didnt break em, and he was renowned for breaking bits, then they must be ok.

kelly also used them in paris roubaix which he won. Dont know whether they were "off the shelf" or specially reinforced tho'.

I seem to remember them in red, blue, silver, gold and bronze.

there's a guy on the ctc forum who acquired one and gave a verdict if you want to search or ask him. He's called MickF. Nice guy, who'd be glad to help.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The chainset did draw my eye........ oh well another time maybe

Vitus

The 996 is nice. And they didn't do Sean Kelly much harm either but rumour has it he could have won stuff on a Raleigh Chopper in his prime.

Latest posts

Back