Let's see those retro road bikes

carlton pro. Very good in its day. I think it was the same, but alternative as the 531 raleighs that were red, black, yellow.
They also did the carlton in silver. The bluey one youve got was far nicer.

There was pro team that used em - sid Barras's lot if IRC.

There are some great road bikes here and that Tommasini........ drools (ok, will get mop and bucket!)

pigman":1n97kww1 said:
carlton pro. Very good in its day. I think it was the same, but alternative as the 531 raleighs that were red, black, yellow.
They also did the carlton in silver. The bluey one youve got was far nicer.

There was pro team that used em - sid Barras's lot if IRC.

yeh the colour is cool.... the forks a silver tho, i spoke to my dad and he said that the original ones snapped :shock: and there were none available in the blue colour so they fitted silver ones.

i have to say that this bike does attract a fair bit of attention when i'm out and about on it, mainly from blokes my dad's age with the old "they dont make 'em like that anymore" stuff... the quality of the kit is outstanding the campag hubs are silky smooth. i took it into Colin Lewis Cycles in Paignton a couple of days ago to try and locate one of the little metal rings that goes over the oil hole on the front hub as it snapped (they said they were prone to doing that). they couldnt help, maybe somebody here can?

rich

dirtjumper_dmr":2czru5uh said:
...and locate one of the little metal rings that goes over the oil hole on the front hub as it snapped (they said they were prone to doing that). they couldnt help, maybe somebody here can?

rich

PM me your address. im sure ive got one somewhere

I recently picked up a Carlton (Raleigh) Grand Prix from ebay for a bargain price. The frame number dates it to May 1980. Raleigh cranks and gears, Weinmann 610 brakes. There is a little surface rust so I'll treat the frame and get it powderocated. I was after an old lugged steel frame and this'll almost certainly end up as a singlespeed winter training bike unless anyone thinks it deserves a full restore
3184606235_6eaf371855_o.jpg

3184606237_1669c8f960_o.jpg

Bishopsfinger said:
There is a little surface rust so I'll treat the frame and get it powderocated.

doesn't look too rusty from here. Just Turtle Wax now & again to stop it deteriorating. Ideal for ss conversion, esp. as it'll be a screw on block. (hey; why not try fixed?)

Heres mine:
DSCF0684.jpg

A 1987 Daccordi 50th Anniversary built with Columbus SLX tubing with a number #216 (out of how many who knows) Pantographed stem.

With new Campagnolo C-Record Century group series, which was rarer than the 50th anniversary stuff from campag, as only 500 groupset were alledgedly made. It has a gunmetal sheen/anodizing which is damn nice in the sun..so apologies for the picture. You can see the difference in colour between the headset and the chromed lugs.
The delta brakes are so damn pretty

Also on it is a refurbed Fausto Coppi limited edition saddle by Selle Italia (also numbered).

Wheelset is C-record Century screw-on hubset with Campag Omega Strada clincher rims and new set of veloflex skinwall tyres.

Its nearing completion and is just missing the Regina SL hollow link chain I have here for it and sorting out the cables. I want to re-do the handlebar tape and reposition the bar slightly (drops need to be horizontal right?)

Drops should point down slightly - the tips should point somewhere above the rear hub.

Yours look like they need a bit of a twist, so your instinct is right. With curved drops like these you cannot get the flat top / hood transition which modern bars give.

Back