Unusual Manitou 2 fork

alastairg

Devout Dirtbag
Can anyone identify this manitou 2 fork. I have searched the forum & can see no reference to this version.
If its easy then I apologise however I know how rare these were.....hens teeth

I will post up the full details later. Assuming I need to :!:

Attachments

• Picture 112 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Picture 112 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2,789
Steerer looks like a cut 'n' shut, someone wanted to extend the steerer to fit a new bike so welded a piece of 1" square tubing into it. I think I would think twice before using them :LOL:

pete_mcc":36w2wgea said:
Steerer looks like a cut 'n' shut, someone wanted to extend the steerer to fit a new bike so welded a piece of 1" square tubing into it. I think I would think twice before using them :LOL:

I used it hard for 10 years ! More of a cut 'n' wrap ;)

Its a modifed Manitou 2 from new by Auriga cycles, California 1993. I bought the fork from Cambria cycles & Doug Christensen carried out the following work.
Carbon graphite steerer tube.
Carbon graphite stanchion tubes telfon impregnated
Manitou 2 CNC crown upper crown bushings

Manitou 3 brace added later by me

stock wt 2.87lb
conversion wt 2.37lb

It was fitted to my 1991 FRO with a Chris King 1 1/4" headset. I used it for 10 years before I switched to a skareb super. I simply did not want the hassle of routine upkeep. If I never need to fiddle around with long allen keys again, thats fine !!

alastairg":34lgavsr said:
Its a modifed Manitou 2 from new by Auriga cycles, California 1993. I bought the fork from Cambria cycles & Doug Christensen carried out the following work.

stock wt 2.87lb
conversion wt 2.37lb

It was fitted to my 1991 FRO with a Chris King 1 1/4" headset. I used it for 10 years before I switched to a skareb super. I simply did not want the hassle of routine upkeep. If I never need to fiddle around with long allen keys again, thats fine !!

Blimey, very much not cut and shut then! Very, very fancy!

alastairg":2it81o1d said:
Can anyone identify this manitou 2 fork
I used it hard for 10 years ! ;)

stock wt 2.87lb
conversion wt 2.37lb

I hope this doesn't come out wrong so please bear with me. Let me play devil's advocate if you will.

Can I ask what your actual question is? You've owned a set of forks for over 10 years, bought them from new and seem to know all about them (specs etc.), so what's the question?

Also you mention carbon graphite steerer tube and stanchion tubes, however what you have pictured is not carbon graphite. The steerer will be a carbon steel and the stanchion tubes will be an anodized alloy. They look like normal Manitou parts from different models.

Very nice forks though. Like a vintage special. I like them I am just confused about how this has been posted.

Back