torque wrench

old school pete

Senior Retro Guru
I see all of the manufacturers quoting torque numbers. But in the real world, does anyone use them? I know they must work great, but for the money you can buy some more bike stuff!

Yes, but certain low torque settings I can do by feel. For things like bb's, cranks etc I always use a torque wrench.

With carbon it's crucial you don't overtighten.

I use one. Pro do a nice little set that won't break the bank.

The big trouble is that the torque required to turn a bolt (or nut) a specific distance onto a mating thread is somewhat variable. Factors such as cleanliness of thread, smoothness of the metal surface, the metal(s) themselves (try putting a Ti nut onto a Ti bolt to fully understand the meaning of the word "binding"), surface tratment, etc. all can have a huge effect.

Don't believe me? Try the following experiment:

Take any nut and bolt, assemble them "dry" around some washers to a given torque, counting the turns you have tightened. Undo the assembly and put some grease onto the threads (any grease, or oil, will do) then repeat the assembly to the same torque. You will find that the nut winds on somewhere between 1/8 and 1/2 a turn further for the same applied torque.

Yes for carbon and lightweight components, also if your cack handed. You see some people hanging off allen keys trying to tighten things. If you've been spannering for a while you'll no need one.

most roadie stuff I get has been over tightened

most MTB stuff I get has corroded together

I use big shoulders....

Torque wrench costs a few £'s
Damaging a Ti or carbon frame or components just aint worth it for so little
money
On critical alloy parts its invaluable

Back