GT Lightning weight weenie progress

Always thought a winter bike had to have guards. Otherwise it's just a summer bike :LOL: Not sure guards are really "for wusses" are they? Get in 80 or 90 on a cold, wet winters morning with most clubs without guards and not only will you be pretty miserable but you'll also be very unpopular.

Easy talk aside where is a pic of this bike on the scales to verify the weight?

I think its only in the south where you have to have mud guards :D seriously I've had them and its nice not getting a wet arse but at the moment I'm not and my club are pretty relaxed about such things,non of the elites that join us have them either and they put some serious mileage in.

MJN":1hxg3rmo said:
I think its only in the south where you have to have mud guards :D seriously I've had them and its nice not getting a wet arse but at the moment I'm not and my club are pretty relaxed about such things,non of the elites that join us have them either and they put some serious mileage in.

Interesting. All the clubs I've ever ridden with (both in the South and oop North) are failry keen on riding with guards through the winter. It does make a big difference in my opinion esp if the roads are wet and sh1tted up (which is most of the time!)

MJN":26unatdc said:

Just to add my tuppence worth, you wont get in most of the chaingangs in most of the big clubs without guards. Lets face it Marcus Scunthorpe Poly arent that big a club.......

I use guards basically cos even if its not raining, the roads may be wet and getting a wet ass for 3-4 hrs is no fun for anyone. I mean cmon, what does a pair of SKS race guards weigh, even with a Brooks watter flap fitted ;)

Guards

Its not so much the weight with guards, as the air drag that puts folks off, you hardly ever see off roaders using guards, even on all dayers. The answer to getting wet/kakky is good clothing. A single rear clip on at most will keep the worst off the rear.

Re: Guards

Wold Ranger":tjkvgogq said:
Its not so much the weight with guards, as the air drag that puts folks off, you hardly ever see off roaders using guards, even on all dayers. The answer to getting wet/kakky is good clothing. A single rear clip on at most will keep the worst off the rear.

Air drag off road :LOL:
Anyhow I'd agree not many ride full length guards with a mud flap off road. Crud catchers normally suffice.

This is all sidechat. Where is a pic of this bike on the scales :D

Donnie don't seem to bothered either but I digress,mudguards are a good idea,sks raceblades not so much as the rider behind still gets soaked but will get round to fitting some probably next winter now though :LOL:
+1 for seeing this bike on the scales!

18lbs :shock: ,that scares me.I thought id whittled my commuter down to a healthy 14lbs [ish],but it was rigid wth alloy orange forks, one brake,etc you know the type of look stripped to the bare
Yours is 18lbs with a sus fork and a triple drive set up and TWO brakes,wow :cool:

Re: re:

gm1230126":zdnakvn3 said:
captain8track":zdnakvn3 said:
some thoughts:

set an 98 Sid or a rigid unit.

If staying suspended in the front you better get a Judy SL earlier than '98 they were lighter than SID's. Rigid would save you the most weight. I think a GT Bologna Lite fork runs 1lbs 9oz so near a 2 lb savings to go rigid. Your not going to come close to 18lbs and once you get to 20lbs you'll spend almost a hundred dollars an ounce to drop weight unless you get out your drill!

You'll also need 28 spoke wheels, Ritchey 1.7 folders or Kenda 1.8 folders to get anywhere near 18.

+10,000 on wanting to see that bike on a scale that's not broken with it reading 18lbs and have it notorized. My 18" Xizang frame weighs what your frame weighs and back when I first built it up with Ti stem, seat post, light cranks, Ultegra hubbed 7 speed wheels and lots of other light stuff the lowest I ever got it by spending $4,000 at bike shop cost was around 20lb 6oz. Like I said above once you get near 20lbs you'll be spending over a hundred an ounce to drop weight...oh don't get me wrong it can get there but you'll have an empty wallet and a 2nd mortgage.

Back